SemiSouth boiler room - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 07:58 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

buzzforb; This document is dated 2004. Note that Mr. Pass used this cascode configuration while at THRESHOLD Corp in its [FET-number] preamplifier when vinyl was still alive and well.
Maybe you are suggesting two R100As in one TO-247 package to simplify our lives.
Old 14th February 2013, 01:47 AM   #142
flg is online now flg  United States
diyAudio Member

The object has nothing to do with who If I can get some good data we can figure it out then. But, it still won't be who. We'll see. I need to think about the R085 biasing/testing theory??? I might need to play tricks to get the bias and a pulsed signal? Hmm?
There was also this reverse current mode Mike and Buzz were almost talkin about??? looked good but upside/down? Maybe I should say "electron flow" ?
Old 14th February 2013, 03:47 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Thanks you Antoinel for waking the thread back up. I like Buzz's post of the linearization article, although I'll have to get smarter than I am to understand some of the nuance.

I've been hibernating working on my thoughts on this linearization theme. I'll be posting some new data and analysis using measurements from a variety of interesting SemiSouth parts. Even plan to post a YouTube to show you how I did my analysis on my computer (believe me a video is worth a zillion words). I'll post some fresh data in an Excel sheet so you all can try it yourself and give me some feedback.

Thanks again for the encouragement and great ideas. Flg, you keep plugging away.
Old 14th February 2013, 11:53 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

vell count me in to get same and double the number of sale if a decent complementary pair became available
This is relay interesting stuff and Just because I did not post before it does not mean that I am not reading every single word and if I do there is quite a lot more people doing the same that you may believe possible

If there is one thing that baffle me is the shape of the wave of a string instrument (Guitar) as descibed by Tea BAg that I believe is more a sine wave
Energy to the string causes string to move at a certain speed it slow down before racing the extreme extension and then accelerate back and repeat

A more like triangular valve is found in wind instruments still no needt to change much
Still no much changes to be made with the fundamental reasoning
Old 19th February 2013, 02:39 PM   #145
Account disabled at member's request

Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

CoolSiC? 1200V SiC JFET & Direct Drive Technology - Infineon Technologies
Old 19th February 2013, 02:53 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=RayCtech;3376491]Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

It's postponed another half a year due to yield...
Infineon is very skeptical about robustness of MOS on SiC as well
Old 19th February 2013, 04:51 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=alexberg;3376507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Maybe this announced JFET family can take over where the SemiSouths ended..

It's postponed another half a year due to yield...
Infineon is very skeptical about robustness of MOS on SiC as well
Not a peep on possible use in audio gear. We will welcome a low selling price and ready availability of this revolutionary [to switching app] CoolSiC.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:45 PM   #148
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder why all the large semiconductor companies can't make SiC JFETs? Certainly, Semisouth wasn't the only company with the talent to do it. Maybe the Japanese will show them how to do it.
Old 19th February 2013, 06:00 PM   #149
flg is online now flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I beleive GaN is a similar, albeit lower voltage, senerio??? Where is it? If it's not here, why not? They all promised! No one wants to air their dirty laundry, or give anyone else a clue? But, Marketing seems to run everything today??? They are currently earning their demise of control due to their wishfull thinking/etc and open pockets...
It is possible that these technoligies are ready for audio use??? But they haven't considered that market??? And probably won't? we'll see how bad it gets? maybe they will look to recoupe their losses??? However $50 /device won't get them anywhere...
It's all the almighty buck! (Eu,Yen,Ruble etc)
Old 19th February 2013, 06:18 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

flg. Commercial power amps using discrete devices are slowly loosing ground to Class D [and other] power chips.

Hide this!Advertise here!