SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Happy you got infected by the Pass virus......! Semisouthfan! :)

The F2J is for instance very estmated by tea-bag! Tea were are you.....? Long time absent hope you haven't too much to work.

Nevertheless SSfan if you have the chance to hear an original J2, try it! :D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am still here. I have been gardening and listening to a ton of vinyl when indoors. Soldering iron is cold.

Love the F2J, but not for everyone because of it's lower power and current crossover requirements and tweaking. it is still the 'desert island amp'.

The F6 with Semisouth has a lot of that sound to, and plenty of power within reason.
I like mine with less resistors and less distortion after some evaluation, 6db more H2 than H3. Probably the F6 platform can be tweaked extensively to one's taste, and I dont think that's been fleshed out yet on the other threads. I beleive it can be made to sounds 90 percent like the J2.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you for your comments Tea-Bag, concerning F2J and F6..... and happy to hear you are fine with your vinyl. :D:D

Just today a German friend wrote me that he is very content with his first F6 hearing!

I seems I am the only one to be a bit reluctant to praise the F6....

Maybe I must clean my "golden ears".......:eek::eek:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I like mine with less resistors and less distortion after some evaluation, 6db more H2 than H3. Probably the F6 platform can be tweaked extensively to one's taste, and I dont think that's been fleshed out yet on the other threads. I beleive it can be made to sounds 90 percent like the J2...

I can confirm that, 6db is a good portion for k2 over k3 concerning the F6!

So things are really different for different amps, for my J2 clone I prefer around 15db k2 over k3 to get the right sound balance.

In these days I will see an original M2 and measure distortion spectra for fun......! :):)

M2 should sound darker than J2 the reviews are saying, though it is k3 dominant, so the darkness must have other reasons. The J2 is heavy k2 dominant, but is commented in the reviews as brighter.

Ha, ha things are always more complicated than it seems to be at first glance.....:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I finally got around to putting together a left and right channel of the F2J amp shown in the previous post quoted here. I even set them up in a decent room at home with ok speakers.

Warning - warning: If not careful soon you will be looking at things like "good" speakers (depending upon your wants and needs - not to mention WAF) and decent source material......

Worse than that you can wind up looking goofy...... :D:D:D

Attachments

• B E Spotmaster - AT-1005 tonearm.JPG
    B E Spotmaster - AT-1005 tonearm.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Gyuri - OB link.gif
    Gyuri - OB link.gif
    125.2 KB · Views: 370
  • ZM triple-dunce.jpg
    ZM triple-dunce.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 358
  • ZM with speaker.JPG
    ZM with speaker.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 355
Thank you for your comments Tea-Bag, concerning F2J and F6..... and happy to hear you are fine with your vinyl. :D:D

Just today a German friend wrote me that he is very content with his first F6 hearing!

I seems I am the only one to be a bit reluctant to praise the F6....

Maybe I must clean my "golden ears".......:eek::eek:

Or perhaps an amp is part of a system and that system has as many variables as the Pass Amps.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is important to observe that the ratios of H2 to H3 are not going to remain
constant - They always vary with amplitude and often/usually with frequency.

You will find that all other things being equal, the perception of these qualities
will vary with the efficiency of the loudspeakers and the listening level.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.