SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no holy grail of amplifier and transistor design, but there is an ongoing development.

Silicon is a better semiconductor material then Germanium and Silicon Carbide is better then Silicon, Gallium Nitride is better then those three and Graphene seems to promise a revolution in semiconductor design. I would love to see Graphen SITs in TO-247 packages sold for a few dollars a piece from Mouser. :lickface:

A SiC Jfet or the latest breed of fun mosfets from IR, IXYS and Fairchild is in many ways much better parts then the old IRFP240/150/044/etc or lateral devices.

I have been eyeballing these for some time now:
http://www.mouser.se/pdfdocs/PreliminaryTO220GANDatasheetPGA26C09DV.pdf

Gallium Nitride semiconductors seem to have huge amounts of transconductance for very low amounts of gate capacitance. Every transfer-curve I have seen is shows a very high tranconductance and linear device.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/692/GS66516T%20DS%20Rev%20160318-913407.pdf

View attachment 548483

I am very tempted to buy a few of these and clamp them to a solid block of copper, to see what can be done with these small surface-mount parts.

They have quite spectacular electrical properties.

Cheers,
Johannes
Yes there is an on going development and I have just about given up caring about it.

A colleague of mine produces graphene in the lab. I should ask whether we can have a go at making some semiconductors using it.

Check out, one of my latest SiC acquisitions. Muah hahaha.

20160511_192807.jpg

Last edited:
Greedy guys, all of you... I'm interested in the new materials, but I don't think I've squeezed all the juice I can get out of humble silicon just yet. Having said that, I have a preliminary design for a J2MeToo using the Semisouth R085. It'll probably bias up OK, but soundwise, who knows? The R085 acquitted itself rather well in the transformer coupled "SiC Puppy" design, and that was a first crude attempt. There might be hope.

Greedy guys, all of you... I'm interested in the new materials, but I don't think I've squeezed all the juice I can get out of humble silicon just yet. Having said that, I have a preliminary design for a J2MeToo using the Semisouth R085. It'll probably bias up OK, but soundwise, who knows? The R085 acquitted itself rather well in the transformer coupled "SiC Puppy" design, and that was a first crude attempt. There might be hope.

Great. Just don't name it "J2" for us to be able to see it and reproduce it at home. :D ;)

Good luck.
M.

Spectacularly.

I advise you to acquire some R085's if there are any out there.

I've some R085 as well as R100 ... just got a J2 ... Wow! clear step up from the M2 in terms of bass and upper end transparency -- the M2 is great and very enjoyable to listen to but the J2 is a whole 'nuther level of accuracy...

Now I have something to compare my DIY attempts to :) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.