SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My partner Jim continues to improve the solid-state "tube" based on the SJDP120R085 SemiSouth SiC JFET. Here's an image with a full set of four installed in his Fender Twin guitar amp. Accomplished musicians that have played the amp with the latest version of the "tube" say it sounds amazing.

We are working up new data and a studio quality demo tape. More soon!

After you perfect the 6L6 are you going to model other o/p tubes such as 6V6(sweet) ,EL34,6550(to answer the bass/metal crowd) etc...???

Regards,El

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Out of all the devices I've seen so far I think the Infineon SiC Jfets are the most attractive. Just wish they were enhancement mode parts.

I think you would find the SemiSouth R100's a reasonable version. Enhancement
parts are easy to get - it's tough to get depletion, but I have a stash of R085's,
and a couple of interesting designs that will use them.

:cool:

I think you would find the SemiSouth R100's a reasonable version. Enhancement
parts are easy to get - it's tough to get depletion, but I have a stash of R085's,
and a couple of interesting designs that will use them.

:cool:

Yes the R100 was an extremely good device, just don't know where to purchase them from, now that Semisouth has gone the way of the dodo.
Maybe I'll get a few of those Infineon parts anyway.
I have some really nice SiC mosfets in sot227 package but I really appreciate devices with zero temperature coefficient like Infineon, and Semisouth.
I also have plenty of lateral mosfets which also have zero tempco so I can't compalin too much, but they aren't as sexy as good SiC Jfets like R100.

Gee I sound like a bloody old lady. Hahahaha

Yes the R100 was an extremely good device, just don't know where to purchase them from, now that Semisouth has gone the way of the dodo.
Maybe I'll get a few of those Infineon parts anyway.
I have some really nice SiC mosfets in sot227 package but I really appreciate devices with zero temperature coefficient like Infineon, and Semisouth.
I also have plenty of lateral mosfets which also have zero tempco so I can't compalin too much, but they aren't as sexy as good SiC Jfets like R100.

Gee I sound like a bloody old lady. Hahahaha

Hello 2 picoDumbs. Dr. Mazzola [and possibly DIYer Tea Bag] may have R100s, and R085s.

Woo - the gauntlet gets thrown down in a gentle way, but that's Papa...
I've always liked the SiC depletion mode parts over enhancement mode. I don't doubt Papa will come up with an appropriate app before me, as his genius-time product exceeds mine by a long shot. Check out the Ixys 200V thread for a very tentative first stab at a R085 design sans output transformer. It won't get built for a while, given my current obligations. It'll probably be different once I get to it. The "SiC Puppy" used an R085 with output transformer in a classic tube-style approach, and managed to sound very nice. Don't dirt on the depletion mode parts...
The Infineon SiC depletion mode device may still be an obtainable contender using a buffered Schade approach to get around its relatively huge capacitance. Its lower junction to case thermal resistance would be a plus in a monster Class A application. If I remember correctly, the R085 has about the same thermal resistance as an IRF230. This can present a challenge.

Doctor Mazzola,
Thank you for the update! I am very interested in what you are working on. Please keep us up to date on your crowd funding aspect. Do you have an idea of the expected life of your solid state tube versus the 6L6? If your device affords far greater life than the vacuum tube it replaces and great sounding performance I think it has great potential.

Yep, that's how we see it too. There is no doubt that the solid state tube will last longer. And if engineered correctly (you can't take these things for granted) it should last much much longer considering how often a guitar amp is used.

But we are motivated by something a bit more subtle. What a real hi-fi purist considers the expected sound from a top-end tube in a stereo amplifier is fleeting. The tube may last a lot longer than it sounds good. And then replacing the tubes requires burn in time. It is not uncommon to see burn in times quoted for quality tubes that is hundreds of hours. Yikes! Our goal is for the solid state tube to sound burned in out of the box. That is why we are asking our professional testers to be real picky. :)

Yep, that's how we see it too. There is no doubt that the solid state tube will last longer. And if engineered correctly (you can't take these things for granted) it should last much much longer considering how often a guitar amp is used.
Not sure whether you are saying a guitar amp is used frequently or infrequently.
I use to practice 4 hours a day on average.
If there was no surf on the weekend and too hot for skateboarding then I would practice 10 hours both Saturday and Sunday.

Many other people practice more than that.

So that's how you got so good! I agree, people who practice like you do could benefit from this product.

Not sure whether you are saying a guitar amp is used frequently or infrequently.
I use to practice 4 hours a day on average.
If there was no surf on the weekend and too hot for skateboarding then I would practice 10 hours both Saturday and Sunday.

Many other people practice more than that.

I hope to use these one day.

Attachments

• img42.jpg
    img42.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 283
The big challenge I can see for the solid state 6L6GC replacement is packaging for a decent power dissipation in the challenging thermal environment of your average amp and still being plug-in compatible, which means also being able to fit in the socket spacing of yr usual amp. I don't know what the optimum bias is, but it would probably have to dissipate at least 20-25W in close confines without going ballistic. If optimum bias is lower, then the rules change, but the amp would then probably require servicing to adjust to the new operating point.

Woo - the gauntlet gets thrown down in a gentle way, but that's Papa...
I've always liked the SiC depletion mode parts over enhancement mode. I don't doubt Papa will come up with an appropriate app before me, as his genius-time product exceeds mine by a long shot.

I'm thinking of running a separate transformer purely for setting Vgs at around the -3.5V region, I don't want to use resistors on the source this time around.

Also if I can't get the R085 device, I'll just get the Infineon parts and cascode with an N-channel lateral mosfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.