Problem with victoria magnetics.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2003, 07:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problem with victoria magnetics....

I wanted to buy custom transformer for alephX and other tansformer, and have been trying to contact John at his victoria magnetics email.

But I haven't got any response so far (it's been a week).
Does he accept international orders? I'm afraid he is reluctant to accept international orders.

Anybody knows how to contact him via "other" email (without having to phone him overseas)?

Thanks,
Old 20th November 2003, 02:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I tried contacting him almost a year ago - still no reply... oh well, he must not want my business. on to the next place. i have found a local source for me now that will do custom transformers through a friend of a friend. when i do actually make contact with him and get one of his products, i'll be sure to update the forum on a new source if they're descent.

avel lindberg is a pretty popular commercial company - they are available at parts express now (www.partsexpress.com). I'm not sure what size X you're building, but you may be able to get a couple smaller ones, one per channel or something. They were very friendly and quick to respond when I inquired about custom ones too. I'd recommend them just based on the friendly service I got from them via email.

Good luck,
Scott
Tieftoener -- You're ears can sense a movement in air that causes your eardrum to move less than 1/10th of the diameter of a Hydrogen atom! Don't abuse the one of the most amazing organs your Creator gave you!
Old 20th November 2003, 02:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I keep wondering what criteria they use to select customers at Victoria Magnetics. In November last year I e-mailed John and he was very slow to respond, about 5 days delay each time. After exchanging three messages I had confirmed my order and asked por payment instructions. I never heard from him again, even though I e-mailed him once again, about a week later. I work very hard for my money, and am not going to hand it to a jackass like that. I never contacted VM again and don't plan to. I ordered from Plitron and even though the lead time was five weeks, they delivered exactly when promissed.
Old 20th November 2003, 08:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Guys,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just thought that it was because that I'm ordering from foreign country that he felt reluctant doing business with me.

I am interested in buying vm trafos because many of alephX builder satisfied with their products. Also because I think it's relatively cheap for their custom trafo.

Tieftoener,
I want to build a standard AlephX (+- 15V dc rail), and it's very rare to find 11-13 VAC secondary for > 500VA ratings. Why don't I build a high power version alephX? It's a matter of taste. I had mini crescendo (about 50 - 80 watts) at the moment, and I feel that I don't need that much power. I once played "doom" (game computer) with it, and every time the enemies shot a bazooka, my whole room was shaking and my window felt like blowing out.

Cheers,
Old 20th November 2003, 06:56 PM   #5
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

I have good experience with VM. John always reply to my email within 24 hours. He even call me once when I emailed him with a question.
Old 23rd November 2003, 11:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

John is pretty much a one man shop. His first priority is to manufacture transformers for Smart Devices, a cinema equipment manufacturer from whom he also rents his space. I've been a Smart Devices dealer for over 20 years myself and thats how I came to kow about John. I have never had any problems with John.

A story he told me a couple of weeks ago may be related to some of the delays you may be experiencing. Acording to John his mothers house burnt down about 8 or 9 months ago and he has ben helping her out from time to time. Most recently John took about a week away from work to help her move back into the new completed home. So that may be why the delay in corespondance. As for foreign orders I couldn't say about that but you should call John and ask him yourself on that one. I don't suspect he has alot of time for e-mailing.

At any rate his products are first class and are also used exclusively by Dr. Marshall Leach at Georgia Tech. I have had zero problems with them.

Mark
Old 24th November 2003, 12:19 AM   #7
Account Disabled

Sianturi,

For your info, here is a service-minded manufacturor:

http://www.ulveco.no/web/Norsk/Ulveco.htm

I have used their qualified products with satisfaction.
Old 24th November 2003, 12:56 AM   #8
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

I have no idea of what you guys are talking about, furthermore I would like you to stop trash-talking a perfectly legitimate, honest, reputable guy that on top of that makes great transformers and delivers them within 10 days from your initial contact.

I am just about the biggest pain in the *** to deal with, ask Peter Daniel. I have had NO problems with John.
His transformers are much better than the standard plitron range.
I would argue that they are more like the plitron audio grade for 1/3 the price.
John is very busy, if you call him he will get specs from you and he will have your trafo on the truck a couple of days after he gets your money. What I hear is a bunch of people that are window shopping nobody has made a serious attempt to contact the guy or sent him any money.
Old 24th November 2003, 01:00 AM   #9
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
VM was good to me when i ordered. Their product is excellent - and i for one
will be ordering from them in the future.
Old 24th November 2003, 01:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to antness
I've bought about a dozen transformers from John and have had good experiences.

Hide this!Advertise here!