Don't buy Plitron Transfo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried to contact Plitron Manufactured during 2 week for my problem and they don't answer me. I buy 4 tansfo by email and they are unable to answer me. I don't speak well english but now, I will have to call them. For me now, Plitron are ****ing ****. A very very bad service.

This is the letter I send to the:
-General technical
-the general sale
-the Inside Sales Representative Helen Chen
-the president Howard Gladstone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
november 6 2003

Hello, I need your help now ! there's 2 month ago, I bought a transformer
from Plitron Manufacturing Inc. for my audio premplifier ! It's my second
DIY preamplifier
with Plitron transmormer. I bought one 047017201 six month ago and all was
fine
but with the last one, I had problems ! When I connect my circuit, I
hear some "hum" in my speakers, so I suspected my circuit. I changed
some capacitor and some resistor and the "humm" is still there... I tried
during
almost a month to correct the noise but without success. I never suspected
the
transformer, because it's new and for me, it's a good quality
transformer...
Today, I tried my other Plitron transformer in the circuit and the noise
is gone. I inversed the two circuit and the noise was still there with the
same
transformer.
My second transformer is new but it is poor quality. It's very noisy, I'm
sure that the problem is the transfo because I have one other Plitron
Transformer reference.

What can you do to help me. I paid $74.07 for this transformer and I can't
use it because it has a noise problem. !!! Plitron product are trustworthy
in the DIY audio world and it's why I want it but I have a problem with this
product. , I bought 4 Plitron transformer in the last years.
Do you have a good solution for me.

Thank you,

I contacted you by email because I don't speak very well english.

Whenever I call them, I always get all the info I need, even if it's not related to their products.

If you decide not to buy from them, where would you be getting your transformers from? Clearly, their product is very good and most hi-end manufacturers are using Plitron toroids (Pass Labs including)

Just because somebody didn't answer to your e-mails, you suggest not to buy their products? It sounds silly the least.

Try to call them, you'll be surprised with friendly service.

Ok, Thank you !

I will try to contact tomorrow but it is very unormal...
When I want information to buy product, thew was super friendly but when I have problem, they don't answer me, I find that very very boring and me, I don't want to loose my money, you understand ???

I will try to find a friend who speak well english to call them....
If you know them "personnatly" can you just say to her to answer my message please....

Thank you

that is the problem....

Being a Belgian, and having lived here for about 4 years I have noticed that most Americans do not want to answer (orally) to questions when the person asking it is not speaking 100 pct perfect Englich (except for Hispanics, there are too many of them and they represent a $$$ market!!)

So yes the problem is with you and the poor English.
Sad but true.

Jean-Pierre

tzen allemoal onnoezeleers!
zegt dakik het gezegt heb!

Salut arold19,

J'ai acheté de Plitron quelques fois. Je n'ai jamais eu de problèmes avec une pièce défectueuse. Par contre, j'ai contacté Mme. Chen à plusieurs reprises et elle a été très coopérante malgré mon anglais relativement faible. Je te suggères vraiment d'essayer de la contacter directement par téléphone.

Au pire, essais comme tu dis de trouve run ami qui parle bien anglais. Si tu ne trouves pas, je peux m'offrir pour t'aider mais il faudra se contacter d'avance pour que tu me donnes plus de détails sur les problèmes exacts de ton transformateur.

Faits nous part de tes développement si tu en as.

Sébastien

The feeling that "they treat me like dirt because I don't speak their language fluently" feeling seems to be pretty universal. Americans have had that stereotype about the French for eons, although my personal experiences were different. ;)

In defense of plitron (product, not customer service), from the description it doesn't sound like the problem is really a transformer issue unless the hum is mechanical. putting the other transformer in could have moved the wiring a bit or resulted in fixing an improperly soldered joint. Hum is a VERY frustrating thing to eliminate. Try all the tricks you find in these forums. Good housekeeping helps.

"If you decide not to buy from them, where would you be getting your transformers from? "

I would contact Victoria Magnetics for your order. John Snowden there is the nicest guy on the planet to deal with and he will make any type of transformer you need. His prices are also much more reasonable than Plitron or Avel, especially for custom work. The quality is as good as Avel, or Plitron!!

For instance, a custom dimensioned, toroid for my Mini Aleph is less than 60.00 U.S. 13-0-13 volts AC at 320VA. Magnetic shielding included as well. John is also very receptive to small orders such as my one toroid!!
BTW: If John has trouble understanding you then have some one else speak for you or fax, or e-mail him your request.

www.victoriamagnetics.com

Mark

tool49: Content de savoir qu'il y a des québécois ici !

Je trouve ca plate que Mm Chen m'ais pas répondu, j'ai envoyé mon premier message il y a de cela plus d'une semaine. Je me rappelle au début quand je voulais avoir de l'information sur les transformateur, elle me répondais en quelque heure. J'ai acheté 2 transformateur de 300 VA pour mon Zen V4 et j'ai acheté 2 transformateur de 120 AV pour mes 2 Bride of Zen. J'ai eu un probleme avec la derniere commande.....
Je suis étudiant, j'ai pas énormément d'argent et là, j'ai peur de m'avoir fait fourrer. C'et pour ca que j'écris ca là! Si je me suis fait fourer, je vais tout tenter pour dire au monde sur ce forum que la compagnie Plitron sont des crosseur....

En passant, quel projet as tu complété toi, et de quel coin de Montréal tu es ???

Salut !!!

Well, what I would do is call them up, if you're a customer, they'll listen to you. You write well enough and even if you've got an accent I think you'll do fine.

Plitron is in Ontario, and well, being just next to Quebec, I'm sure they're much more used to french speaking people than those down south.

I hope you get it worked out, because Plitron makes great transformers, and the service is great from my experience.

Oh, and I've experienced much of ther other side of that language problem. Living here in Quebec city and having rather poor french, quite often it's hard to be understood...

I ordered two transfomers for my JLH from Helen by phone and e-mails and specified that I would go and pick them up. To my suprise one of them delivered to my house, yes just one after four weeks. I phoned Helen right away and when she realised that she made the mistake she immediately put in a fast track order so I went to pick that one up two more weeks later.

When I met her in person she was very pleasant to talk to and when I got my credit card statement I was suprised that she had refunded me more than the shipping charged to my account for the first one. And that was without me even asking.

I am very happy with Piltron.

Sorry to hear about your problem.
Chris

tool49: Content de savoir qu'il y a des québécois ici !

De même, tu va voir qu'il y'en a plusieurs, surtout dans les speakers.

Je trouve ca plate que Mm Chen m'ais pas répondu, j'ai envoyé mon premier message il y a de cela plus d'une semaine.

C'est clair que c'est plate. Mais comme je te dis, par téléphone elle est assez facile à comprendre et vraiment facile à rejoindre, essaie de l'appeler demain.

Je suis étudiant, j'ai pas énormément d'argent et là, j'ai peur de m'avoir fait fourrer. C'et pour ca que j'écris ca là! Si je me suis fait fourer, je vais tout tenter pour dire au monde sur ce forum que la compagnie Plitron sont des crosseur....

Je comprends ta situation, je suis étudiant moi aussi. Mais je peux te rassurer sur un point, tu ne t'es pas fait avoir. Ils ont une bonne réputation et ils y tiennent. Tu n'as qu'a leur expliquer qu'une des unités a un défaut et que l'autre est correcte, je suis convaincu qu'ils vont te l'échanger. Au pire, on s'arrangera pour organiser une campagne de e-mail à Mme. Chen jusqu'a ce qu'elle prenne action.

En passant, quel projet as tu complété toi, et de quel coin de Montréal tu es ???

J'ai complété une coupe d'ampli dont entre autre une de Randy Slone et 3 de mon propre design. Je suis en train de designer mes speakers et mon preamp mais en tant qu'étudiant, la vitesse varie selon mon budget :) Je ne suis pas de Montréal même mais plutot de la rive sud (Longueuil) mais pour les anglophones, prononcer Longueuil c'est dur alors je préfère dire Montréal :)

Salut !!!

Pareillement, salut!

P.S. Don't worry guys, were just trying to solve his problem in an easier language :)

Peter Daniel said:
If you decide not to buy from them, where would you be getting your transformers from?

What, Plitron is the only producer of transformers? I'll do the Zen4 in a couple of months, and you'd be surprised how good toroidal transformers you can get from small producers.
Arnold, if I can speak english (and I'm from Croatia), so can you, just CALL THEM, it's your money.

Hi!

Originally posted by Anorgan just CALL THEM, it's your money

What is it that such a lot of (small and big) companies are very reluctant to work with and answer through E-Mail?

It is netiquette that - should you supply an mail-adress on your site - you answer to e-mails on the same day you receive them (at least an automatic reply telling the person who sent the mail that you've noticed it).

But a lot of firms seem to shove their emails directly into /dev/null, that means virtual wastebasket...

Now I know the answer for my question for myself: E-Mails, along with real mails, can be ignored, whereas a person on telephone must be dealt with promptly.

That is bad behaviour, especially if you try to make a living through the www.

Learn and try using e-mail consciously, or omit the adress altogether.

Bye,

Arndt

arold19 said:

Do you have a good solution for me.

If you are certain that the transformer is deffective (by substituting a good one in the place of a humming one), don't bother with e-mails, just send the transformer back to Plitron with an explanation note. This is not something that can be resolved through the letters. The shipping shouldn't be more than $10 and if the toroid is in fact defective, they''ll send you a new one.

And they might even call you;)

arold19 said:
Today, I tried my other Plitron transformer in the circuit and the noise
is gone. I inversed the two circuit and the noise was still there with the
same
transformer.
My second transformer is new but it is poor quality.

If the transformer is genuinely faulty, you should be able to find some problem using a multimeter. If you can describe a measurable fault, Plitron should accept the transformer back without complaint.

So, if you have a multimeter, and a 'good' transformer for comparison, can you measure:

- DC supply rails (+ and -)
- AC voltage of transformer secondaries
- DC resistance of transformer secondaries (when disconnected from the circuit).

I once built an amplifier where I made a bad connection to one of the transformer secondaries (I didn't scrape off the enamel well enough). It worked, but the power supply was effectively only half-wave rectified - it therefore hummed a lot. Cleaning up the connection and re-soldering it fixed the problem. Possibly, your transformer has a faulty secondary winding, or a bad connection.

Cheers
IH

that enamel on the wire thing got me one time too! I couldn't
figure out what was going on!! Everything was hooked up just
fine, i checked everything twice... then i just happened to look at
the secondary wires and i finally saw the problem. Proof that you
shouldn't work late at night on your projects! :)

Arnold, let us know how things turn out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.