Don't buy Plitron Transfo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2003, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Don't buy Plitron Transfo

I tried to contact Plitron Manufactured during 2 week for my problem and they don't answer me. I buy 4 tansfo by email and they are unable to answer me. I don't speak well english but now, I will have to call them. For me now, Plitron are ****ing ****. A very very bad service.

This is the letter I send to the:
-General technical
-the general sale
-the Inside Sales Representative Helen Chen
-the president Howard Gladstone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
november 6 2003

Hello, I need your help now ! there's 2 month ago, I bought a transformer
from Plitron Manufacturing Inc. for my audio premplifier ! It's my second
DIY preamplifier
with Plitron transmormer. I bought one 047017201 six month ago and all was
fine
but with the last one, I had problems ! When I connect my circuit, I
hear some "hum" in my speakers, so I suspected my circuit. I changed
some capacitor and some resistor and the "humm" is still there... I tried
during
almost a month to correct the noise but without success. I never suspected
the
transformer, because it's new and for me, it's a good quality
transformer...
Today, I tried my other Plitron transformer in the circuit and the noise
is gone. I inversed the two circuit and the noise was still there with the
same
transformer.
My second transformer is new but it is poor quality. It's very noisy, I'm
sure that the problem is the transfo because I have one other Plitron
Transformer reference.

What can you do to help me. I paid $74.07 for this transformer and I can't
use it because it has a noise problem. !!! Plitron product are trustworthy
in the DIY audio world and it's why I want it but I have a problem with this
product. , I bought 4 Plitron transformer in the last years.
Do you have a good solution for me.

Thank you,

I contacted you by email because I don't speak very well english.
Old 17th November 2003, 11:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Whenever I call them, I always get all the info I need, even if it's not related to their products.

If you decide not to buy from them, where would you be getting your transformers from? Clearly, their product is very good and most hi-end manufacturers are using Plitron toroids (Pass Labs including)

Just because somebody didn't answer to your e-mails, you suggest not to buy their products? It sounds silly the least.

Try to call them, you'll be surprised with friendly service.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th November 2003, 11:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, Thank you !

I will try to contact tomorrow but it is very unormal...
When I want information to buy product, thew was super friendly but when I have problem, they don't answer me, I find that very very boring and me, I don't want to loose my money, you understand ???

I will try to find a friend who speak well english to call them....
If you know them "personnatly" can you just say to her to answer my message please....

Thank you
Old 18th November 2003, 12:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default that is the problem....

Being a Belgian, and having lived here for about 4 years I have noticed that most Americans do not want to answer (orally) to questions when the person asking it is not speaking 100 pct perfect Englich (except for Hispanics, there are too many of them and they represent a $$$ market!!)

So yes the problem is with you and the poor English.
Sad but true.

Jean-Pierre

tzen allemoal onnoezeleers!
zegt dakik het gezegt heb!
Old 18th November 2003, 12:59 AM   #5
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

Salut arold19,

J'ai acheté de Plitron quelques fois. Je n'ai jamais eu de problèmes avec une pièce défectueuse. Par contre, j'ai contacté Mme. Chen à plusieurs reprises et elle a été très coopérante malgré mon anglais relativement faible. Je te suggères vraiment d'essayer de la contacter directement par téléphone.

Au pire, essais comme tu dis de trouve run ami qui parle bien anglais. Si tu ne trouves pas, je peux m'offrir pour t'aider mais il faudra se contacter d'avance pour que tu me donnes plus de détails sur les problèmes exacts de ton transformateur.

Faits nous part de tes développement si tu en as.

Sébastien
Old 18th November 2003, 01:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The feeling that "they treat me like dirt because I don't speak their language fluently" feeling seems to be pretty universal. Americans have had that stereotype about the French for eons, although my personal experiences were different.

In defense of plitron (product, not customer service), from the description it doesn't sound like the problem is really a transformer issue unless the hum is mechanical. putting the other transformer in could have moved the wiring a bit or resulted in fixing an improperly soldered joint. Hum is a VERY frustrating thing to eliminate. Try all the tricks you find in these forums. Good housekeeping helps.
Old 18th November 2003, 02:18 AM   #7
The one and only

That is a bit of a surprise. Plitron is the most responsive
transformer company I have ever dealt with.

(Avel-Lindberg gets 2nd prize - Hi Melanie!)
Old 18th November 2003, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

"If you decide not to buy from them, where would you be getting your transformers from? "
__________________________________________________ __

I would contact Victoria Magnetics for your order. John Snowden there is the nicest guy on the planet to deal with and he will make any type of transformer you need. His prices are also much more reasonable than Plitron or Avel, especially for custom work. The quality is as good as Avel, or Plitron!!

For instance, a custom dimensioned, toroid for my Mini Aleph is less than 60.00 U.S. 13-0-13 volts AC at 320VA. Magnetic shielding included as well. John is also very receptive to small orders such as my one toroid!!
BTW: If John has trouble understanding you then have some one else speak for you or fax, or e-mail him your request.

www.victoriamagnetics.com

Mark
Old 18th November 2003, 03:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Shipping transformers from US is an inconvenience for Canadians. Also, Plitron price list shows somewhat lower prices when using CAD $. And I suspect that Plitrons may actually sound better

I have two pairs of exactly same toroids (400VA) from VM and Plitron. Will compare them one day
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th November 2003, 03:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

tool49: Content de savoir qu'il y a des québécois ici !

Je trouve ca plate que Mm Chen m'ais pas répondu, j'ai envoyé mon premier message il y a de cela plus d'une semaine. Je me rappelle au début quand je voulais avoir de l'information sur les transformateur, elle me répondais en quelque heure. J'ai acheté 2 transformateur de 300 VA pour mon Zen V4 et j'ai acheté 2 transformateur de 120 AV pour mes 2 Bride of Zen. J'ai eu un probleme avec la derniere commande.....
Je suis étudiant, j'ai pas énormément d'argent et là, j'ai peur de m'avoir fait fourrer. C'et pour ca que j'écris ca là! Si je me suis fait fourer, je vais tout tenter pour dire au monde sur ce forum que la compagnie Plitron sont des crosseur....

En passant, quel projet as tu complété toi, et de quel coin de Montréal tu es ???

Salut !!!

Hide this!Advertise here!