Another ZenV4 up and running - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2003, 07:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Another ZenV4 up and running

My ZenV4 has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. It sounds great. I sent a bunch of pictures to PassDIY with description and hope it shows up there soon. I have included a photo or two below.

Many thanks to Nelson Pass for his contributions to the DIY community. There are lots of kits and such out there, but NOTHING ELSE in the rarefied atmosphere of Pass designs. This has, of course, been true since the A-40 way back when. It is still true, close to 30 years later.

Larry Wright
Seattle area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_02341.jpg (37.8 KB, 1131 views)
Old 17th November 2003, 07:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_02421.jpg (30.4 KB, 1119 views)
Old 17th November 2003, 07:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

One more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_02331.jpg (54.0 KB, 1116 views)
Old 17th November 2003, 08:30 PM   #4
Jaac is offline Jaac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

lthe look is good but how does it sound ???
Old 17th November 2003, 10:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As I said, the sound is great. Handles low level detail especially well, and resolves delicate nuances lost with lesser equipment. Take a really well recorded disc (like, say, a Chesky Recordings disc) and listen for soundstage, ambiance, finger noises on strings, etc. Voice is especially natural sounding. There is a short recording of Sara K. singing on a Chesky sampler that makes you sit up and take notice on my Magneplanar Mg-12's with this amp (and they are power hogs that are recommended to be used with 40 to 150 watt amps). The Stereophile test CD tracks are revealing too of this amps ability to resolve hall ambiance, soundstage, and depth. When the guy on the test track takes the clicker noisemaker and says "I am now 30 feet behind the mikes" it SOUNDS like he is 30 feet behind the mikes.

Best of all, the music sounds natural and does not wear you out after 20 minutes. When you can get all this and heat your basement listening room too, hey, what's not to like.

Larry Wright
Seattle area

p.s.- makes Goldfrapp sound good too, and Frank Sinatra on Reprise recordings as well.
Old 17th November 2003, 10:30 PM   #6
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zapped

p.s.- makes Goldfrapp sound good too

I'm sure Nelson will be glad to know that
Old 18th November 2003, 10:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Nice work!

Well executed Larry,

I particularly like the way you have produced the two channels identically so that they fit comfortably 'back-to-back.'

Regards

Paul
Old 18th November 2003, 11:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zapped
[B]As I said, the sound is great. Handles low level detail especially well, and resolves delicate nuances lost with lesser equipment. Take a really well recorded disc (like, say, a Chesky Recordings disc) and listen for soundstage, ambiance, finger noises on strings, etc. Voice is especially natural sounding. There is a short recording of Sara K. singing on a Chesky sampler that makes you sit up and take notice on my Magneplanar Mg-12's with this amp (and they are power hogs that are recommended to be used with 40 to 150 watt amps). The Stereophile test CD tracks are revealing too of this amps ability to resolve hall ambiance, soundstage, and depth. When the guy on the test track takes the clicker noisemaker and says "I am now 30 feet behind the mikes" it SOUNDS like he is 30 feet behind the mikes.

Best of all, the music sounds natural and does not wear you out after 20 minutes. When you can get all this and heat your basement listening room too, hey, what's not to like.

Larry,
More can be gotten out of this fine design. The low end seems to not mate well with some speakers. Some alter the feedback loop.
On mine I cranked the current up going through the input buffer from 8 ma to 23 ma. Made a large improvement in dynamics and in the low end punch.
This is my first solid state amp since 1989. I love it!

George
Old 18th November 2003, 06:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks to Panelhead for suggested mods, and to SuppersReady for kind comments.

The layout was pretty much determined by the size of the heatsinks (which I bought as parts in 1980 and kept in my garage ever since, waiting for the appropriate use! They are old Heathkit 250wpc super amp units) and my desire to have a front panel with width to height ratio of 1 to .618.

Sinks, by the way, turned out to be just about right, thermally. I did a rough calculation using an estimating program (ESB's? I think) and it looked to be approx. .3degrees per. In actual use, the attached photo shows my temperature probe taking a measurement at the hottest point, near the center bottom of the sink base plate. After about two hours this hits 53 to 54 Celcius at that point. The fins, top, and ends of the sinks are a lot cooler than this point. I may take the old functionally useless T0-3 covers off sometime and put a flat copper bar in their place to help spread heat more. Right now, I am too busy listening to the amp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_02301.jpg (34.5 KB, 816 views)
Old 18th November 2003, 08:07 PM   #10
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
more pics!

Hide this!Advertise here!