Ultimate Pass amp. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
The one and only

People ask "What is your favorite amp?" and these days I say

"The next one"

Old 23rd January 2013, 07:38 PM   #12
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

shocking ....is there nobody that can give hold.....
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Biju55: Thanks I don´t know these amps but I will take a closer look.

Sakellogg: A75 is the best DIY I have heard but I have not heard them all, therefore my post here

Zen Mod: Yes it was a big difference like with the crossover caps in the speaker.
I don´t know if you have seen this test that Tony has done for caps to the loudspeakers:

Humble Homemade Hifi

There are most likely capacitor in the XA 30.5 and then the big question is what capacitor and only one person knows...

Nelson Pass: Agree and always looking for the next and better maybe because:

THE FIRST WATT IS THE DEEPEST

Thanks

Chris
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringvig View Post
Zen Mod: Yes it was a big difference like with the crossover caps in the speaker.
I don´t know if you have seen this test that Tony has done for caps to the loudspeakers:

Humble Homemade Hifi

There are most likely capacitor in the XA 30.5 and then the big question is what capacitor and only one person knows...
yup - I read that ;
whatever - in some circuits caps are more important than in other ones ;
as I said - you have some caps ( and I know where and which - you can , too , just looking at highres pics everywhere on net ) in XA30.5 ;

from same reasons few caps in BA3 ball will not have harmful influence on sound - circuit is symmetric and any possible distortion from cap will be nulled from other side .

OK - it's better without them , but sometimes you must choose entire package

or construct your own , without caps

whatever - nice circuit , having decent cap , bypassed with small MKC (polycarbonate) is always sounding better than DC coupled circ , of lesser quality

so , if you really don't like them - then make EUVL's X F5 - power is adequate for your needs , it's DC coupled .....
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:02 PM   #15
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

I do not see a problem here: make a F5 and if you feel like you want some more after, just make an Aleph J or 30 using the same chassis and PSU. Thanks to Nelson's FW chassis concept :-). Doing this you can answer your question if caps in signal path still bothering you in Alephs :-)

BTW, I like your speaker! Accutone drivers are my dream... Never had chance to hear them, though :-(.
Old 27th January 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
CHA is offline CHA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello cringvig,

It's quite funny you start this thread..

I mailed you when you had your amp for sale. I would have bought it but you were waiting for money from another buyer, so I missed it. Crap..

And the reason for wanting the XA30.5 was/is to compare it to the BEST amp I've heard, the Pass Son of Zen..! My friend has recently built a watercooled SOZ and so far, it destroys every amp we have compared it to, by quite a margin.

Tomorrow I'm gonna borrow a XA30.5 to compare...

I can report our findings in this thread, if anybody is interested..?

CH
Old 27th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

'course we are interested.

I would go for an Aleph J, something with SITs (such as Nelson's undisclosed push-pull circuit with K82/J28 from Linear Audio #4), or F5T with laterals.
The above intrigues me the most, YMMV.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi All

Sorry for not reply until now but I have been down with Pneumonia, the good thing is that I have had time for reading

Thanks for all the inputs and I am very interested in the Aleph´s I don't know why they have never caught my attention, big mistake

I have a 5U 500mm hifi2000 cabinet as the limit and my speakers are 4 ohms with peak at 250Hz on 3.8 ohm.
First I was thinking at Aleph 5 but I like to more output devices parallel so now I think at the Aleph 2 with only 30V rails and maybe 4 amps bias.
Or the Greys Apleph X version 15V rails and around 6amp bias.
Both would be within the heat sink specs but what will handle the 4 Ohm speaker load best ?

CHA: Yes that funny

The XA30.5 is a wonderful amp and I bought it so I did not have to think about amplifiers again (so naive) but it did not make me happy like when I had my A40 or A75, there is just something about the things you built yourself.
The A75 is at my friends house and he won´t let it go, so I have to built a new amp

But don't no what way to go....

SOZ is nice as well and when you have been around in the amp jungle, Pass is like coming home, you realize how much you have been missing it.

Chris
Old 29th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #19
The one and only

Oh look, I found a new gain device that I need:

File:Pole 2 Thyristor Valve.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Nelson Pass; 29th January 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: - credit to Chris Hornbeck -
Old 29th January 2013, 08:50 PM   #20
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
Oh look, I found a new gain device that I need:

File:Pole 2 Thyristor Valve.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmmmmmmmmm................
Nelson River DC Transmission System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well - the power supply is the heart of any good amplifier....

Hide this!Advertise here!