Article: Beast With a Thousand Jfets - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 11:27 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
this year(2013) they said
and they know it very well the fets are maked as audio fets. maybe papa gave them a tip about this beast
Buying a 100 of the above fets. Will try them in PP buffer to see how they perform against Toshibas. Maybe good enough for input stage of power amps, leaving the Toshibas for small signal stuff. I think Linear has been releasing these thigns for about 5 years. Their 170's compare pretty well from what i have heard.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:41 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

I can't really understand that there is NOT a marked for 2SK170 and 2SJ74, or the Linear Systems counterparts. I guess Parasound, Ayre, Pass Labs/First Watt, and probably several other audio corporations have bought shiploads of these JFETs now, to be able to build amplifiers for at least one decade. Yes, I know, in a world where you have to sell billions, a few 10.000s of JFETs does not matter. Still, I think it could be good business to sell these. Maybe if they repackaged them. Maybe SOT23 SMD or something.
Well, let's hope Linear Systems can do them.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:29 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K Rønningstad View Post
Yes, I know, in a world where you have to sell billions, a few 10.000s of JFETs does not matter.
Exactly. Its the world we created, now we just have to live in it. Wait until everything is bought online or at Walmart or some other super box store.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:49 PM   #44
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

well , it seems that we are going to make amps with popcorns in front end

personally , I don't care - have enough BC109C to make at least one amp a week , for rest of my life

don't forget a towel , too

Old 22nd January 2013, 01:02 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

What flavor?
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:10 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

If all power amplifiers where "Beasts with at least 1000 JFETs per channel" - and balanced to boot - Toshiba would re-start production!!!! (And global warming would be a fact without a doubt. And probably Nelson will have more of the peasants with forks outside his gates. )
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:14 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-K Rønningstad View Post
understand
Lamborghini had a special tire developed by Pirelli in the '80s for their 4wd monster.
Apart from the huge width and the very high payload number, it had a wide edge on the side that prevented the tire from digging itself in on very loose sand terrain (as abundantly found in desert surroundings)

Extremely expensive, a set of four would set the owner back the cost of a compact automobile, and they didn't last very long with highway use.
Production of the super-4wd lasted half a dozen years, and Pirelli stopped manufacture of the Scorpion BK tire due to lack of demand.

Nowadays Pirelli manufactures a tire for various full-size 4wd's, even so bold to use the same model name.
But not in the original width, not for the same payload, and it's sand edge is pure cosmetics.
Pirelli will still have the mold of the original lying around somewhere, I'm positive that they'd be willing to manufacture a custom series if someone ordered a thousand at the right number of $/pc.

Similar deal with JFETs, not enough exotic 4wd makers around to justify the deal.
Not unless someone has access to the mold on the cheap, without the initial development cost, and 2nd stage development plus manufacturing cost levels enable him to cater to a niche market.
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:16 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

What kinda minimum order is Linear looking for? Then you have the question of performance.
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:56 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
have enough BC109C to make at least one amp a week , for rest of my life
You don't say, that few ?
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:19 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

i didnt know that about the lambos.

i get your point. but i still like the story more.

Hide this!Advertise here!