Newbie with lots of questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't know if this is the right place to post, but first hello to all. Long time lurker first time posting. Now why I am here, I come from the Klipsch forum where a few of the guys over have been using the Firstwatt f3 in their bi amped configuration. With the f3 on the horn section and some sort of heavy hitter on the lf section. As this is out of my price range, and I love diy stuff something you get from building it your self. I have put my name on the mailing list for the Amp Camp bundle to get new boards in(sounds like it should be the next week or so). But get to looking around at all the other diy stuff offered around here, and wonder if any would be better for my situation. But a couple of things I would like cover, is there something I can build in a monoblock configuration, as I really like the looks of the dual chassis from Passlab's XS systems. Plus I would end up needing three for a center channel(well one for a center channel but 3 total for all three speakers). I know I may have to buy 2 kits to accomplish this but that would be ok.

For my experience, I have built a diy tube pre amp which was just stuffing some cards and wiring up. Done a little reading here(so much my head hurts). But thats about it, I have a short attention span, so its hard for me to read through a couple hundred pages of threads. Any help would work, even if its just pointing me towards the right threads.

Thanks
Duder.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Any of the amps can be made monoblock, however you are going to increase the total cost because the chassis and the PSU are the biggest expense... the amplifier boards are relatively inexpensive.

If you build separate PSU and monoblock, ala the XS series, then you will have a very, very cool, but throughly expensive set of amps. :) :) :)

If you have Klipsch, then you are not in the need for lots and lots of power... so actually, any of the Pass/Firstwatt designs will work.

Which speakers do you have?

What are you using for a preamp?

What's your budget?

Are you planning on using this only for the HF section of your speakers? If so, are you active or passive xover?

As for experience and skills required, look at this thread and see if there is anything that you can't/don't want to do. -- (I doubt that there is anything, but it never hurts to ask...) :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/188691-illustrated-guide-building-f5.html

Any of the amps can be made monoblock, however you are going to increase the total cost because the chassis and the PSU are the biggest expense... the amplifier boards are relatively inexpensive.

If you build separate PSU and monoblock, ala the XS series, then you will have a very, very cool, but throughly expensive set of amps. :) :) :)

I assume this because I would need a total of 6 chassis, and 3 PSU"S, and 3 trannies. I don't know if there are any PSU's I can split.

If you have Klipsch, then you are not in the need for lots and lots of power... so actually, any of the Pass/Firstwatt designs will work.

This is why I was looking at the BA1, Single ended I was told would be the way to go.

Which speakers do you have?
Modified Klipsch Khorns, I will be putting some P.Audio horns/with P.Audio drivers that should make it close to a 2 way configuration, I will be using this amp only on the Hf section. So I will be using the Minidsp until I figure everything out. Then I would like to find a way to build passive crossovers.

For a pre amp I will be finishing my Vacuum tube audio sp6 by adding the phono stage this next week. I will be using my Mcintosh MC2505 on the bottom end.

As for budget realistically I should say 100.00 but that's not real. I would like to keep it under a grand $1000.00 U.S., but like you said, adding all the chassis and power supplies that could get costly. So if I have to make it a stereo unit I will for now.

I feel I am good with a soldering iron, and a voltmeter, and when I stare at a schematic long enough I can figure it out. Thanks for posting your build thread, the way it looks I think I can handle this task.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A stereo SE burning amp (BA-1) with 6 outputs per channel will need the big DIYaudio chassis, (they ain't called Burning amp for nothin'...) but everything else is relatively easy, so a grand for a stereo amp is well within reason.

You asked about if there were any PSU you could split... there are -- any of them. The trick to making things quiet is to get the transformer in a different box and away from the audio circuits.

I'm kind of confused on whaf you mean by 6 outputs per a channel. Are you talking about output transistors. Plus the site explains the basic kit can handle up to 3 outputs per a channel, then when you look at the secondary boards it claims these are only needed for people that want more then 6 outputs per a channel.

Last what is the reason for more outputs the horn/driver combo is 104 db/1 watt/1 meter. I think I need to read up more on these designs.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
make classic F5 , but with 2 pairs of outputs - for bass part ; no more than 100W of dissipation per side is needed .

make ACA ( for starters ) for squawker+tweet , later you can make F3 or whatever fancy you , to have more bloom from top

that way you'll spend less money , while having everything needed

bottom of KH doesn't need plenty of watts , but control

any of BA will be overkill for that role , at least in my opinion

look for Cviller's F5 boards in Store , same as for Cviller's blog , for more info

and yes - outputs means output mosfets

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It seems your power requirements are rather modest, as Zen said, F5 and ACA would be a nice mix. Just remember, most of the cost in building these amps is in the chassis and power supply. While the PSU in a separate housing is ideal, it's not absolutely necessary for great performance, neither is dual mono imho, and there's the added cost of course. Now, if you want to emulate the XS series as far as looks go.....you'll quickly exceed your budget.

3 mono amps
3 PSU chassis
3 toroids
3 sets of cap banks
>1000USD

------------------or-----------------------

1 stereo F5 (one toroid, one cap bank, one chassis)
1 mono ACA or F3
<<<1000USD

Last edited:
My thoughts are the same as ZM and MEGA; get the ACA going and then work on putting an F5 together. The ACA will be fun to build and you're going to be happy with the sound, plus it will go together quickly. The kits are a great way to get one going and kinda immediate gratification, well once the kits are back in stock anyways. Then you can concentrate on the f5 build and take your time researching, designing, etc.
I say this 'cause it's pretty close to the path I am on. I got a hold of an ACA kit... Now I am in the middle of putting an f5 together.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Although that seems logical, it's more because the F5C was an attempt to make more power, while using the basic F5 design.

Nelson has since come out with the F5Turbo, for people who want more power.

That said, the F5C and the first version F5T are very, very similar.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Regarding the pair of F4, that's an awesome way to have buckets of power and still a Pass design.

Remember that in order to get the big power with a pair of F4 you must drive it with a balanced preamp.

A tea-bag convertible F5T board will make a dual-output F5. Cool!

(And in case you haven't noticed yet, yes, you are completely spoiled for choice!! There are a million ways to skin this cat.)

:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.