AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I hope this is ok...

Attachments

• Pass AB100 small 2 work.gif
    Pass AB100 small 2 work.gif
    59 KB · Views: 2,080
I will have to presume that the diode string across the bases of TIP 142 147 will shunt excessive drive to output and that will create a crude method of limiting if and when needed

I am actually not familiar how protection like that will work sound wise ...None of the amplifiers i am listening to had this schema of protection ...Also don't know how effective this is

Then the question for me is :why bother? since Darlingtons on the output will do there "own" thing after the protection depending on the thermals cooling load and so on and on .

Tinitus i think exercise is always nice and sharpens brains but i think one may put his energy on a pcb and not a schematic .

Nice idea for a weekend project could be a pcb that has the arrangement of transistors L style bracket made like NPNPDVBEDNPNP
Where
N stands for NPN
P stands for PNP
D for driver ( there can be a question if driver needs common heat sink with outs)
and VBE will be Vbe

could be nice project but not for me ...unless one has a better darlington to offer than 142 147 ( any with audio specs will do )

I presume that arrangement like that will offer excellent current sharing and equalize thermals all the way through . Point is no matter what i say the next step is to construct and listen cause i may hate darlingtons while NP operates them in an ""other" way and after all may worth listening .

Kind regards
Sakis

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
A few quick answers.

The original design (this one) was intended for dummies with maximum
reliability and minimum adjustment and also minimum opportunity for
noises and pops. ....

:cool:

I guess that answers it .... maximum reliabity sounds good for my bass guitar... and intended for dummies, spot on too :D

I expect to hardwire on proto board

regarding the Darlingtons
with their high current gain, I suppose they are easy to drive, and might have been chosen for that reason ?

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/TIP140-D.PDF

I guess there is a first time for everything, also on Pass forum