AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 12:05 AM   #81
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Sub-audible? That's, well, um, amazing?

But 52 miles/min is still fast, by any metric.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:46 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Has anybody looked at this and updated it to more modern (available) parts?

It's still an awfully interesting design... we shouldn't let it wither away.
I'm going to bump this thread and hope we get some more interest in it. I have found myself playing with an old Soundtream D-200 amp that I picked up with a dead power supply and it got me thinking about this thread again. I still have a great big old Threshold chassis with massive heat sinks just waiting for the right project.
Old 29th April 2013, 01:20 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

I think if this is pursued (and I would love to see that) it should be made on the UMS and all on one PCB per channel.

The New PSU board will be great for it, and it would be fairly easy to get it all together and going.

I still think the most logical place to start is determining what would be the logical (and easy to get) modern transistor substitutions. I know absolutely nothing about that, is there anybody who has knowledge in that area willing to take a look and make a list?
Old 29th April 2013, 03:15 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I think if this is pursued (and I would love to see that) it should be made on the UMS and all on one PCB per channel.

The New PSU board will be great for it, and it would be fairly easy to get it all together and going.

I still think the most logical place to start is determining what would be the logical (and easy to get) modern transistor substitutions. I know absolutely nothing about that, is there anybody who has knowledge in that area willing to take a look and make a list?
I remember looking at what I had in my parts bin when nelson first published this.
And I came across a few denon recevers 8yro or so. And they had darlingtons that would fit the bill.
I can send you guys the sheets on those. You can decide if they are good or not. All I could decide if they wouldn't let the smoke out that's as far as I got.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:47 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

what about the OnSemi MJ11022 and MJ11021 devices? Higher voltage and current ratings.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:56 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

There is the 50 amp rated MJ11032 and MJ11033 devices in TO-3 style. not sure if the specs are in range. only 120V rated devices however. Might be good for my old Threshold case. build a 200wpch balanced output version.

Looking at OnSemi's website these are about the only choices.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:53 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

yeap .... but then you need to place the question of how far you may go with transistors with Cob of 400-600 pf , ft of about 3Mhz and hfe of 75...

Pretty rugged and robust devices probably ideal for a low pitch inverter ....

kind regards
Sakis
Old 8th May 2013, 10:09 PM   #88
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

The PMD16K100 and 17K100 from the original A40 are still available if looking for TO-3 style xsistors.

Craig
Old 8th May 2013, 10:35 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

If the devices are TO-220, -247 or -3P, they would be able to be used on the Universal Mounting Spec chassis from the store.
Old 9th May 2013, 03:12 AM   #90
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
There is the 50 amp rated MJ11032 and MJ11033 devices in TO-3 style. not sure if the specs are in range. only 120V rated devices however. Might be good for my old Threshold case. build a 200wpch balanced output version.
I should think they would do the job, and fewer of them.. Of course you
don't at all have to use darlingtons. It's trivial to put together a driver stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!