AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Build Left channel with ST devices and Right channel with On Semi devices. Listen to each (in mono). If you have a strong preference, implement that in both channels. If you don't have a strong preference, leave the amp alone and start listening in stereo.

Reactions: 1 user
So Osscar, I have not built a stereo pair yet to listen to in my system. I will compare the A40 to the AB100 when I do. I have had the A40 for over 10 years and it is the best amp I own right now. I also have the Honeybadger and it is a close second. I need the power though for running maggies.

Build Left channel with ST devices and Right channel with On Semi devices. Listen to each (in mono). If you have a strong preference, implement that in both channels. If you don't have a strong preference, leave the amp alone and start listening in stereo.

Sorry for late answer, but as NP said (if I remember correctly), darlington transistors with lower value internal resistors are better ...higher driver current - less distortion...obsolete Lambda PMD parts even better...

Would like to discuss what it would take to replace the Darlington output stage with just a power BJT. Particularly looking at Sanken devices. Will the existing driver stage have enough gain to drive this? Or will it take another driver stage after the existing. I have no idea if what I'm asking will work or not.

Would like to discuss what it would take to replace the Darlington output stage with just a power BJT. Particularly looking at Sanken devices. Will the existing driver stage have enough gain to drive this? Or will it take another driver stage after the existing. I have no idea if what I'm asking will work or not.

+1👍
And what will be the maximum rail voltage?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would advise against making radical modifications to a Nelson Pass design, especially if you have no idea whether they will work or not. Build his amplifier as he designed it; if the final result is lackluster in your opinion, THEN make changes.

_

Attachments

• t142.png
    t142.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 961
  • t147.png
    t147.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 975
@Eugene L. - Singapore (I don't remember your nickname),
please send me a PM, your boards are back to me (incorrect / Insufficient shipping address)

@manniraj,
that lets hope!

Oh so his has reached back but mine no trace of it so far. Lets hope if it reaches me and unfortunately I will be in Frankfurt for a week or 2 in the 2nd week of October. So if mine as well returned within that time frame then surely can request you to ship it to FK.

Thanks

Last edited:
So my thoughts on replacing the Darlington stage are aimed at building a 300W/chan power amp to drive magnepans. they are very inefficient as everyone knows. I'm currently pushing a little over 200W/Chan with the four 142/47. That puts it just over the SOA of the outputs. So what I was thinking was using BJT outputs rated higher and still using just 4 pair so that I can utilize the same board as is. Looking at rails between 50-60vdc.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
AB100 is an exercise in getting maximum watts per dollar. Its TIP142/7 output transistors are half the price of comparable Sanken devices (2SB1647) and one ninth the price of the massive, brutal 300W TO-3 devices (MJ11033). If you want to increase AB100's output by a factor of N, increase the number of TIP142/7 devices by that same factor of N. Or design a new amplifier with different goals.