New Semelab Sic Normally Off power jfet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default New Semelab Sic Normally Off power jfet

hey guys, perhaps there is hope lol, well maybe when production ramps up and they offer it in a non harsh environment package. i'm talking of the Semelab (badged as TT electronics) SML100M12MSF

looks interesting, not massive power dissipation etc. all available at mouser for a mere $337AUD ea. its a to-258 package, bit weird.

anyone have experience with them or knowledge of them? if so, any word on further similar parts from the fab that arent so stupidly priced?

many will know that Semelab make some stupendous lateral power mosfets for audio, so the prospect of a power jfet from them is very interesting indeed

Last edited by qusp; 2nd January 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 06:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Interesting looking part. The 200 degree C operating temp will attract sales for applications that must have that spec and will pay any price. I looked at some of their lateral (Alfet) and bipolar parts. Nice to see bipolars intended for audio with extended SOA. When I did a search for all parts from Semelab / TT Electronics on Mouser I got a message saying "Mouser does not market Semelab / TT electronics product in your region." I'm in the US. Do they sell here?
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thats weird, perhaps Alied has some deal with them in the US, i'm pretty sure thats where the large purchase for 'the wire' LME49830 + Semelab ACD101NDD/ACD103PDD dual die Laterals came from, not sure on that.

they do have the to-247-5 N/P dual Lateral mosfet part at alliedelec, which is quite a cool thing, especially its symmetrical pin layout, easy to make a clean, little, reasonably powerful high quality audio amp its ALF08NP16V5 . and they have the similar high power lateral ALF16N16W. they make the alfet, Semelab, Exicon, ProAudio parts. even metal can TO-3

its very new this jfet, a bit of buzz around the net but not many suppliers, just checked allied and no joy there, octopart lists mouser and NAC. funnily through octopart
try this octopart search mouser link they list it as at mouser and for 249USD with 22 in stock.

mouser are so rude, our dollar has been considerably stronger than the USD for well over 12months now, 249USD = 237.72AUD at the moment, a full $100AUD less than mousers AU website list price.....

but it would suggest at least through there given its currency that they will sell, weird, maybe ask their konline help if you are interested. youre right its quite unique 200C and while power handling isnt amazing, the current handling is pretty spiffy.

they also seem to make a small signal nchannel ceramic sot23 Jfet 2N4392CSM

Newark/element14/farnell Aliledelec, mouser, RS all seem to stock the Semelab parts, but none other than mouser list this jfet.

Last edited by qusp; 3rd January 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

for 249 , one can buy some decent spk drivers

better put 498 greenies in spks , than on pair of 3-legged fuses

even buying some toobz is more soul rewarding

or - just go and buy some cables

Old 3rd January 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i'm not interested in this particular part at this price, I posted it as a matter of discussion being that SS dodoed and this is a new power jfet part by a company that makes very good complementary lateral mosfets specifically for audio, in fact they have one of the most extensive Fabs for audio discretes on the planet at the moment, so this is very different to a small start up like Semisouth that can vanish in an instant due to a few bad decisions.

trickle-down into a plastic package that isnt rated for 200 degrees and is more affordable is not out of the realms of possibility

they make a matched N/P lateral mosfet part, imagine a dual N/P complementary SIC power jfet part made for audio?

Last edited by qusp; 3rd January 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

qusp - I didn't meant to address you ;

it was just general remark , or maybe even sort of reminding my self that I don't need more ........ more exotic ........ exotic ......... parts ........ anything ........

Old 3rd January 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ahh OK .. a familiar story to me, but at the same time sometimes I like to spread the disease =)

must resist, more ...expensive... exotic.. but ultimately unnecessary...sand
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wish there was more info on the data sheet. What does it take to drive these things? There is not even any kind of transfer curves. Are they linear or just meant for switching? Can anyone point to an application note or technical paper?
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Dzius is offline Dzius  Poland
diyAudio Member

Without output characteristics in datasheet price is just stupid. Sell it to the USA army then. Maybe someone from Samelab will read it and come back to consciousness.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

one would guess you can ask them for it.... its brand new. typically semelab write pretty decent datasheets and app notes. they have quite a few parts in this price range, clearly the customers dont think the price is stupid, they didnt make it for us DIYers and there would seem to be only 20parts in existence

Hide this!Advertise here!