Aleph History & Recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2003, 07:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph History & Recommendations

I havn't been into (or alive long enough) to have seen the full development of the Alephs, so theres a fair chunk of info missing in deciding on my next suitable amp.
Although good in design the SOZ's inefficiency make it a less attractive option.
After looking at the Aleph service manual, there power consumption vs. output power is alot more to my budget/needs. Except in terms of audio quality I cannot distinguish between them since I have never heard one.
Can anyone help me out in terms of thier personal preference in amps?
Power ouput isn't really a consideration.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 14th November 2003, 02:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If this is a first time amplifier build for you then I'd go for a Mini Aleph if you have high sensitivity speakers, or a great pair of headphones. Its also a good learning project to help you understand the Aleph design. Delivers about 10 watts per side into 8 ohms, typically great Aleph sound and the little bugger is quite dynamic. Clips very gracefully. Its a dynamyte little amp!! Mine was built using MikeW's PCB which I reccomend and to Grey Rollins stock schematic. Hey, thanks Grey, and Nelson for this little GEM!

BTW: MikeW's PCB has room for the extra parts to expand your Mini into a full Aleph 30 if you so desire.

I also built a pair of Alsph 2 monoblocks about a year ago and love those as well. These were my first amp construction project in years. They drive my Dynaudios and the mini drives a pair of Yamaha NS-10's for now..... or till I dump them on E-bay.
Will trade these NS-10's for?????????????????????????????????

Mark

P.S. Don't forget the blue LED(s) or you will be banned from this site forever!
Old 14th November 2003, 06:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Making the amp is no problem. I'm currently running a gainclone but I've made several car amps based on the p3a and everyday construction stuff i do at work.
The Aleph X intrests me but sofare have only made it to page 15 or so out of 160 ish.
Has anyone heard a X vs. say 1 -> 5 that can comment?
Thanks for your response
Old 14th November 2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Banned

Big advantage of alephx is there is the new PCB groub buy with hifiZens very very pretty boards. http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...Jan+2004+Order

But you say
Quote:
Power ouput isn't really a consideration.
so you donīt need an aleph. Why not a Zen?
this one is very alephlike
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/zenv4-1.htm
and this one is simply beautifull
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/zenlite1.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!