aleph 2 temperature

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a thermometer tucked in between fins behind a fet with a peice of rag jambed in to help get a acurate reading. running full tilt 52V 5A It'll hit 170 deg f without the fan. Smells funny but sounds great. The pair will raise the room temp about 10 deg. when you walk by them, it's like walking past a fireplace.

That's the temp with no fan. my finished chassis will have a fan that draws air in the back (to cool innards) and will exaust through a row of holes, one in between each fin to help drop rtheta. The voltage to the fan will be controlled by a neg coef thermister in a voltage divider that will drive a source follower so fan speed can track temp. I still need to play with this circuit to be sure the the speed doesn't overshoot and turn off and on. With the huge thermal mass and slow ramp up from stop to full, It should settle on a speed.
When I was doing my stress test, I had the surge protectors switch near by.

Hey Brian,
Route the hot air output from them into your heating ducts! Toss the thermistor and just hook the fan to your house thermostat . Money spent on electricity will be saved on gas. The water cooled Aleph dudes can heat water for the hot tub instead. Gee the economic consiquences of owning an Aleph might actually be pretty positive. Comming soon, Mr Aleph Coffee Maker brewing full High Fidelity Coffee!

Lets see a Krell pull off any of these feats. Well ok, they could if you're into drinking ice coffee I guess.
Mark

Brain

Have you ever considered getting yourself somethink like this?

Attachments

• aleph12-3.jpg
    aleph12-3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 461
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Hey Brian,
Route the hot air output from them into your heating ducts! Toss the thermistor and just hook the fan to your house thermostat . Money spent on electricity will be saved on gas. The water cooled Aleph dudes can heat water for the hot tub instead. Gee the economic consiquences of owning an Aleph might actually be pretty positive. Comming soon, Mr Aleph Coffee Maker brewing full High Fidelity Coffee!

Lets see a Krell pull off any of these feats. Well ok, they could if you're into drinking ice coffee I guess.
Mark
In Houston the homes do not have heating ducts. They come with two sets of airconditioning ducts. Mine is running now.
170F is high. I backed off idle current on my amp at 140F or 60C. But I think it did sound better with the current higher. May have to go back now for our two weeks of winter.

George

Hey George, May I assume the family is still out of town. You crazy animal. What are you doing on the internet at this hour.

He's right. We use the heater once or twice a year here. and that's usually because we put the A/C themostat too low and the house got chilly overnight

Hey Nickolas Check tis one out for my 200 watt plus Aleph X. I need to finish a lot of other thigs before I start.

The thermister idea is to go with the variable bias. I don't want the fan to run any more than needed and I'm going to put a knob and/or switch to decrease the bias for background music. I'm sure my wife will want to listen sometimes when I'm not home.

Attachments

• s_picture 001.jpg
    s_picture 001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 356
from some pc cooling site:

Supercomputers with massive parallel CPU and memory arrays are often immersed completely in a chilled, non-conductive liquid such as silicone or mineral oil.
I propose the ultimate "case-mod" and overclockers dream: A computer case that manages to separate, contain, and seal all non-moving components of a desktop PC in a tank of cooled liquid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.