Heatsinks from Surplus Store for J2 or F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found these two heatsinks at my local surplus store. But no clue what the rating is on these. Also on order are some Semisouth SJEP120R125 so I need to figure out if these heatsinks are large enough for a stereo amp. I am a tube guy and this is my first try at a diy solid state amp. Thinking either on a J2 or a F6. Hopefully by the looks of them it should be ok for either amp. Is this wishful thinking on my part?

Alfredo

Attachments

• image_2012-12-26_15%253A37.jpg
    image_2012-12-26_15%253A37.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 285
  • image_2012-12-26_15%253A38.jpg
    image_2012-12-26_15%253A38.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 285
They look great but, Ideally the best way to use them would be to cut them in two vertlcle 6" tall sinks/ch.You always get the best efficeincy without fans etc. when you orient it with verticle fins but unless specifically made for a long configuration (greater space between fins) 6"-8" is all that would be useful with those. I have a similar Fischer model that does 80-90W at about 5.5wx6dx8h.
I might guess you could do about 100-120W without going over 55C on the sink if they were side by side and 6" high. Of coarse YMMV. Maybe there will be a consencus estimate that will get you going :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Those heatsinks are made to have natural convection, and with the proper orientation will be able to get rid of some goodly amounts of heat. If not able to cut them, the best would be to build a tall amp. There are some good examples of it around.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you tell a local metal supplier what you need done (cut in half), who knows, they may be able to cut it for a small charge on their stock saw and maybe even clean up the sawcut on a mill, or direct you to a machine shop? Ask around...

A six inch tall amp will be perfect use of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.