SIT Startup Problems - What did I miss?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1- I don't see where you stated if a load was connected or not??? there should be at least a 8-10 ohm resistor connected across the speaker terminals. without a load you may see some DC.

2- the output cap could have a lot of leakage. if you are using old caps for the output cap they could be bad but measure ok and work ok for typical power supply use just not as an output coupling cap. for testing you can use just about any cap there. try a 10,000uf or whatever else you have that may be newer.

Zc

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bad Pa ;

'twas your blessing

:rofl:

Now, musn't blame Nelson for my omission. :)

For the sake of others:
If one tests with a dummy load (as one should) the coupling cap discharges rather quickly through the load.

Since speakers don't always like this sort of thing, we use a 100 Ohm or so resistor connected from the output to ground to bleed off the cap when there's no load connected. This can potentially save you or your speker from a shock.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• Image29.jpg
    Image29.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 202
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now, musn't blame Nelson for my omission. :)

For the sake of others:
If one tests with a dummy load (as one should) the coupling cap discharges rather quickly through the load.

Since speakers don't always like this sort of thing, we use a 100 Ohm or so resistor connected from the output to ground to bleed off the cap when there's no load connected. This can potentially save you or your speker from a shock.

The reason I came across this is I'm in the habit of checking for DC offset on the outputs of new amplifiers. With one slight deviation in the grounding scheme I know my wiring is perfect and an exact duplicate of the original schematic. That said, when my new VFets arrive I'm going to install a 100 ohm resistor across the output terminals of my amp. Hopefully this will prevent my speakers (or myself) from seeing any DC.

Regards,
Dan :)

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ilizmn is trying to clue you in on why you're measurement is wonky. Your cap is hanging in space.

The 100 ohm resistor will improve your measurement situation as well as bleed the cap, but I'd like to emphasize that you should always test with a load resistor. There's one in the schematic, and if you had you'd probably be listening to an amp right now.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
ilizmn is trying to clue you in on why you're measurement is wonky. Your cap is hanging in space.

The 100 ohm resistor will improve your measurement situation as well as bleed the cap, but I'd like to emphasize that you should always test with a load resistor. There's one in the schematic, and if you had you'd probably be listening to an amp right now.

Regards,

Joined 2002
Paid Member

I probably mistook the load resistor as representing a nominal speaker load. That aside, I'll do all my next startup tests with a resistor load in place. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Dan,

we are mostly used to the capacitor free outputs and check the offset.....

I was in the last days also in the situation to be in panic with the F3 clone and my newly implemented 15 x 1000uF Silmic ... it is easy to forget what ilimzn wrote...

especially when building a new project.....! :):)

but what was the reason your SIT was blown?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
not first and not last subject , beaten to death

there is no need to take it from wrong side .........

you can find mistakes in Pa's manuals , left there most probably because life isn't serious thing , so there is no need that electronic must be ........ and what Greenhorns can catch , if not own mistakes

:rofl:

(sez Mighty Moi , who scorched more than few mosfets and just later found that Pa was laughing all the time )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.