Heatsinks..best place to get them in the U.S.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, looks like I am going to start collecting parts for an F5 V2 Turbo build. However, I need to know where I can get some good heatsinks as most of these amplifier cases I have seen recommended come from Europe I think I am going to try and get the heatsinks and make the case myself.

I would prefer them to be anodized black already as well. I dont care about the design of the heatsinks at all, I just want some that will do the job properly.

Hey thanks for that, I also saw digikey.com has some heatsinks but I didnt have a chance to look through them too much.

I am not sure how I am going to tackle this project at the moment as I was first thinking of getting the PCB's first and soldering everything to them and then purchase the heatsinks/case later on for final assembly as I gather more funds. However, if I have the case first I can get things put together as I go.

P.s. I lived in Fort Collins for 4 years and miss it very much! If I could get my wife to move further from the beach it would be back to CO....but at 2 hours away now it is already too much for her...we take constant day trips to Pismo/San Luis Obispo as it is...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For F5 V2, you'll need some serious heatsinks, it's gonna need to be big. I would get the sinks, and build the case first. This will be the most costly and time consuming part of the project. Populating/placing pcbs is a mere formality once the hard part is done.

-john

I found these as well but dont know of the cost.

Catalog

the ~$100 for the others is attractive. I want to try and keep costs down and in my mind the simpler the better as long is can handle the heat that is going to be thrown at it.

I plan a simple case that is just square, black, and the front has a VU meter wired to work how Nelson Pass has his PassLabs XA line meter working of holding still when operating in Class A

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think the best course of action is to get the pre-drilled 5U chassis from the store. Look at it as an investment -- because of the universal mounting spec you will need only change the amplifier boards (and maybe transformer) if you want to try a different amp. The PSU and chassis are then genuinely universal, which is nice, as that's where the $$$$ is when building an amp.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think the best course of action is to get the pre-drilled 5U chassis from the store. Look at it as an investment -- because of the universal mounting spec you will need only change the amplifier boards (and maybe transformer) if you want to try a different amp. The PSU and chassis are then genuinely universal, which is nice, as that's where the $$$$ is when building an amp.

I intend on buying 3 of those, one for current Turbo F-5 V-2 build, the other 2 for Turbo F-5 v-3 mono blocks. We'll see how the V-2 goes first!

Russellc

I honestly had not thought about the fact that the 5U was a universal chassis and really does make for a wise purchase. That way I will have one chassis that I can also use for furture projects as well. I intend on toying with some of my own designs once I study up on amplifier design. One thing that interests me is the hybrid SS and Tube amps as well as the SIT designs.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
When you consider that you can build basically any of the Pass designs (BA-2, BA-3, F4, F5, F5c, F5T, Tea-Bag's new F6 boards, and possibly soon AlephJ) And the HoneyBadger in that case, you quickly see that it's a smokin' deal.

Also there are many more PCB that you could adapt with minimum fuss into it as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.