diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Heatsinks..best place to get them in the U.S.? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/226130-heatsinks-best-place-get-them-u-s.html)

ORNJ 20th December 2012 08:14 PM

Heatsinks..best place to get them in the U.S.?

Hey guys, looks like I am going to start collecting parts for an F5 V2 Turbo build. However, I need to know where I can get some good heatsinks as most of these amplifier cases I have seen recommended come from Europe I think I am going to try and get the heatsinks and make the case myself.

I would prefer them to be anodized black already as well. I dont care about the design of the heatsinks at all, I just want some that will do the job properly.

6L6 20th December 2012 08:21 PM

This is as good a place as any to start - Extruded Aluminum Heatsinks from HeatSinkUSA

As for anodizing, look for a local shop.

ORNJ 20th December 2012 10:15 PM

Hey thanks for that, I also saw digikey.com has some heatsinks but I didnt have a chance to look through them too much.

I am not sure how I am going to tackle this project at the moment as I was first thinking of getting the PCB's first and soldering everything to them and then purchase the heatsinks/case later on for final assembly as I gather more funds. However, if I have the case first I can get things put together as I go.

P.s. I lived in Fort Collins for 4 years and miss it very much! If I could get my wife to move further from the beach it would be back to CO....but at 2 hours away now it is already too much for her...we take constant day trips to Pismo/San Luis Obispo as it is...

MEGA_amp 21st December 2012 02:06 AM

For F5 V2, you'll need some serious heatsinks, it's gonna need to be big. I would get the sinks, and build the case first. This will be the most costly and time consuming part of the project. Populating/placing pcbs is a mere formality once the hard part is done.

-john

AudioSan 21st December 2012 02:10 AM

the sinks needed for V2 will be about $100 from heatsinksUSA. 4pc 10.080" profiles. 6" long.

PKI 21st December 2012 04:06 AM

BTW, what about 5U chassis from the store? It it enough for F5Tv2? It is .28/4=0.07c/w that gives you 357w at +25 above ambient. That is 45w/transistor and 1.4A bias at 32V rail. Correct?

6L6 21st December 2012 04:07 AM

Yes, the 5U will be enough for a v2. It's going to be hot, but ok.

PKI 21st December 2012 04:12 AM

I am not planing to use my heater this winter ;-)

oneplustwo 21st December 2012 04:55 AM

I've had good look with Par Metal as well. Par-Metal

Plus, you can get the Antek transformers from them while you're at it.

ORNJ 21st December 2012 03:49 PM

I found these as well but dont know of the cost.

Catalog

the ~$100 for the others is attractive. I want to try and keep costs down and in my mind the simpler the better as long is can handle the heat that is going to be thrown at it.

I plan a simple case that is just square, black, and the front has a VU meter wired to work how Nelson Pass has his PassLabs XA line meter working of holding still when operating in Class A