aleph output fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wonder what pass labs does when there amplifiers blow up at customers houses and they take out speakers. Do they replace them or repair the amp for free if the amp is at fault..?

That would suck to have a class a amplifier go full tilt into your nice b&w or ect ect other brands of speakers and kill them .

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Our policy is that we do not warranty against consequential
damage. We have had people blow up their speakers by
playing too loud, and we have seen cases where they passed
DC or transients from the source to the detriment of the
speakers, but the actual cases of failure damaging the
loudspeaker is very rare. I can recall only one case, although
my memory is not the best.

The failure we would expect to damage speakers would be that
of full DC offset, and that is very rare. Far more likely to simply
not work or blow the fuse.

Well im 99% done my aleph 2's just got to add 2 parts to the FEB's and then assemble and test

here are a few pic's

Attachments

• feb.jpg
    feb.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 282
Even the fastest relays are way too slow to guarantee protection to voice coils. BGW used a crowbar curcuit that sensed any DC on the output terminals. An SCR then turned on and shorted the power supply out so a breaker would trip. I've seen it work in the case of a ground loop where there was a high level oscillation...it worked flawlessly and no damage to the speakers resulted. No reason a crowbar circuit couldn't blow a line fuse instead of a breaker. It would actually shut down the amp faster.

Good work on that amplifier! I used Brians boards in my 2's..... But you do need a work bench..... Thats how DIY'ers start homes on fire!!
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.