The F5X Preamp

The F5X Balanced Preamp

Since we have all of the information about the F5X Power Amp in the Pass forum, I have taken the liberty of putting the F5X Preamp also here.
I hope Nelson wouldn't mind. Else I could ask the Moderators to move it elsewhere.

Attached here is Part 1 of the description.

Patrick

Attachments

• F5XP Topology.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 4,171
Last edited:
Just to show that this is not all paper work, here is some hardware.
More to follow, gradually........

Patrick

Attachments

• F5X Pre PCB V2b s.jpg
    F5X Pre PCB V2b s.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 6,513
  • 121125 F5XP Backplane a1s.jpg
    121125 F5XP Backplane a1s.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 6,258
  • 121125 F5XP Backplane a2s.jpg
    121125 F5XP Backplane a2s.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 6,073
That has been discussed extensively in the very old Aleph-X thread, and also the F5X Build thread.
Please search and read.

The F5X Preamp supports per channel 3 single ended inputs, as well as 3 balanced.

Of course you can also use many of the SE to Balanced converters around, including many single IC versions.

Patrick

I received multiple PMs asking about what we intend to do with this preamp project.
Well, as Jacco said, no novelty. We shall do it exactly the same way as the F5X project, with some slight changes.

That means we shall do all the development work ourselves, including measurements and listening tests.
Then we might choose a few experienced DIYers as Beta Testers to verify the design for public acceptance.
When all is ready, we shall offer it as a fully integrated project, just the same way as F5X Batch 2.
The Gerber files for the preamp PCB will be offered to the DIY Audio forum for sales to those who just want PCBs.
Also the same as the F5X.

Time frame ?
We hope to finish building and testing the prototype in Spring 2013, at about the same time as we deliver F5X Batch 2.
Give it another month for Beta testing which might start in Febraury (in parallel with proto tests).
So probably ready for subscription in May 2013.
We'll announce when we are ready. Please be patient.

We'll first publish all 4 parts of the article, hopefully before the end of 2012.

But our sincere thanks for your interest,
Patrick