The F5X Preamp

Yes, we have enough genuine, tested devices to support at least 2 batches of this project, if not more. :)
They were unfortunately not too cheap. Purchase price was already ~4€ apiece.

We have very limited 2SK2013/2SJ313, and they are not pin compatible.
So it will need a new PCB and can only be supported as a limited option for those who desperately want to experiment.
Unless Mr. Zhou answers his email, whenever .....

We are also searching for other devices which are better complementaries than the above two.
But this will take time. So even if successful, it will come a year later as potential upgrades.

Default will be Renesas laterals.

Patrick

Last edited:
Thank you Patrick,

my first christmas present this year!

One remark concerning the attenuator. -48dB seems not to be very much. I´ve got a bit over -60dB at the moment (from a X-BOSOZ with Gain 3.9x) and in some combinations (Zu Druid, NCore400) this is only just enough.

cheers,

William

Last edited:
Re attenuation :

You can always change the values by dividing the shunt resistor further by 2, or 4, or ....
You total range remains the same, limited by the 8 bit relays.
Or you can step them by a factor of 3, like 30k, 10k, 3,3k, 1k, 330R, 100R, 33R, 11R.
Then you will get -65dB.
Will need a different look-up table, but not impossible.

Patrick

Patrick
Is it possible to run two preamp boards in your case, as I am using J Rivers MC18 as my sole source and crossover (as i cant find a suitable balanced crossover to place after the preamp) outputting two signals, Hf,LF, over USB into a exaU2I Multichannel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface, into two dacs, into two? preamps, feeding two of your FX5's. Or can anyone suggest a better way of going active balanced ?
Tony

No.

LF & HF in parallel so that you have one preamp driving two filters giving you 2 outputs.
That is per channel, so 4 outputs altogether for 2 channels 2-way active filter.

To use a passive filter followed by source followers, just treat them as single ended and duplicated 2x for balanced.
Suggest you start a new thread and also let other people help you.

Or you send me your X'ovr schematics by email and I'll have a look, when I have time ....

Patrick