Pioneer SX as preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brothers,

I would like to try my relatively unskilled hands at building one of Mr. Pass's wonderful amplifiers.

I have a fairly large collection of Pioneer and Marantz receivers from the 1970s. Many have pre-amp outs. Could I use one of these receivers as a preamp for, say, the F5? I am thinking in particular of the Pioneer SX 5580, Which is the European version of the SX 1010.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thank you in advance for your opinions. I love these forums and have learned so so very much from you folks!

Doug

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, your receiver will make a fine preamp for an F5. There should be no drive problems, and in the very unlikely case that there is, a quick modification to the F5 will clear it up.

The F5 is so clean that you will likely want to build a Pre for it once you are done, as Zen Mod hinted at. :) :D :) :D :)

this is absolutely wrong most vintage amplifiers have inputs with a sensitivity of 150-200 mv try to connect a modern source on them like a CD player or a DAC and you will partially kill a very useful area of dynamics

Add to the above that some of them have gain ...or plenty of gain on the preamp ( expected you need to ""boost ""200 mv to something like 1 volt )

The result with a modern source is that everything on the preamp is going to be too much ...Volume knob is going to kick in someway too fast loudness function is going to be almost useless since added tone will be too much ...

Another complication will be that some of these amplifiers base the tone controls sitting on the feedback node of the main amplifier while the actual tone control has no active parts ...that will be also risky to ""brake"" from pre and main amp .

Finally and eventhough some of these circuits are very musical and provide very sweet but unreal sonics most of the designs especially with today's standards have horrible crosstalk and Chanel separation issues ...That it shelf is serious draw back even more serious than the gain issues

So its a NO big time !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.