Scaling Aleph-X up to 200w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the alephx bias excel spreadsheat it comes out to be about 500-600 watts of heat PER CHANNEL for 200 w into 4 ohms....22v at 10 amps bias? I think. I forget. You'd probably have to use all 24 fets per channel as well...to get adequate heat dissipation. I was actually planning on doing this...but then again...thats a LOT of heat and I don't have a big place! haha! Later!

-Matthew K. Olson

Eah watts wrong with a little heat. I found some ugly but very efficent looking heat sinks in my favorite surplus shop. They are about 3"x8"x12" with tiny fins (1/16"x1/2" slots). The guy said that with forced air, they should be good for about 2kw. (I think more like 1kw.) But they are only $15.00 each. I'm thinking that with a well thought out open cell foam labyrinth for an air chase that you wouldn't hear a quiet fan or three. This scheme works well with 150 KW diesel generators.
I love the looks of huge masses of axtruded aluminum, but this may be a more space and cost efective way of making a inexpensive huge AX.
I'll post pics later.

I know there are purist among you that can be happy with 10W to listen to your chamber music. That won't cut it for me. I want in somewhat loud without sacrificing any dynamics. If you've watched any of yor favorite tracks on a scope as you listened, (I know you guys do it) you'ld see that you need at least 6 dbs of headroom.

Pardon my rambling. I just finished working a 18 hr shift and need my diyaudio fix.
Corrections
$25.00 each
3x9x11
3/8" base

Attachments

• s_picture 001.jpg
    s_picture 001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,090
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's the idea I've been kicking around for the heatsinks of a 200w Aleph-X. I was thinking of 'emulating' Levinson's 33H' with a tall'ish design. I was pondering the use of a 20 inch R-theta 65340 in black for each side of the monoblock. A silver or natural colour 66153 for the front. And 1/4" plate for the rest. Here are the related pics.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. This is just me trying to think 'outside of the box' so be kind.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.