A question regarding Ono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
George,

I use to design Seismic equipment for TI, AMF, and a company called Sercel in Houston. The best caps we could find for the high-speed sample and holds were the CRC Teflon. Of course, none had steel leads and we did not have the temp issues of down hole.

So what has happen in the field of electronic for the oil field business in the Houston. I move to Dallas to work in communication in 85. The communication field is much depressed like the oil business was back n the early 80's.

Jim

jewilson said:
George,

I use to design Seismic equipment for TI, AMF, and a company called Sercel in Houston. The best caps we could find for the high-speed sample and holds were the CRC Teflon. Of course, none had steel leads and we did not have the temp issues of down hole.

So what has happen in the field of electronic for the oil field business in the Houston. I move to Dallas to work in communication in 85. The communication field is much depressed like the oil business was back n the early 80's.

Jim

Jim,
The oil field electronics business is all outsourced now. The product runs are small and there are few downhole manufacturering groups who are not contractors.
We picked up several 25 -30 year designer people a couple years back when Halliburton was chopping the R & D department. They had bounced around several times.
The oil and gas industry is dead. There are jobs, but the same people who started in the 70's still hold most of them. Not much young blood is coming in.
It is not at all like this DIY audio. Plano is nice. We had a DIY meet east of Plano a couple months ago. It is mostly tube gear and speakers. But there is one coming up in Austin on May 8th if you would care to attend.

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Other sources of teflon caps?

A quick web search also turns up the following company:

http://www.customelec.com/pdf/tech_dl/Teflon_LineCard.pdf

Anyone have experience with their caps? Their website says their minimum order is $150, but given the price of teflon caps it might not take too much to meet that. I've sent them an email requesting more information and I'll report back what I hear.

---Gary

Re: CRC Caps

Panelhead said:
The company I used to work for used these in high temp well logging equipment. The application became outdated when the instruments went from analog to digital.
But one warning, they have steel leads. George

George, did you work for SLB? I still do.
I have a bunch of those caps(.5, 1 & 2uF). They're the top ones on the picture in Garys link. I haven't tried them in audio equipment yet though.

You can easily change the leads on them as the end caps are soldered on. We used to take off the end caps and solder wires directly to the foil inside. On one side the cap is connected to the lead via a "spring" wich used to break due to the vibration downhole.

Re: Re: CRC Caps

SvErD said:

George, did you work for SLB? I still do.
I have a bunch of those caps(.5, 1 & 2uF). They're the top ones on the picture in Garys link. I haven't tried them in audio equipment yet though.

You can easily change the leads on them as the end caps are soldered on. We used to take off the end caps and solder wires directly to the foil inside. On one side the cap is connected to the lead via a "spring" wich used to break due to the vibration downhole.

Yes, 19 years. Guess you are in Svanger? Excuse my spelling.
I never tried pulling one apart. But if the leads are changed they may well be great caps.
Even with the steel leads they are not too shabby. I used them in tube gear for a good 10 years. Later I decided that tin foil Jensen caps worked better in my system.
But a good friend still uses them and swears by them.

George

Panelhead:

Several months ago you wrote the following:

The company I used to work for used these in high temp well logging equipment. The application became outdated when the instruments went from analog to digital.
These are still available surplus around Houston for a dollar or two each. John Tucker of Exemeplar had a box full when he lived here I sold a bucket full to someone for 200.00 couple of years back.
But one warning, they have steel leads. They were welded to the circuit boards.
I used to stuff these in everything. But I think they are far from neutral.
A lot of the surplus caps had H numbers printed on them. These were the stocking numbers at my previous employer. Most were Custom Cap or TexCap branded, but may have been made by CRC.
If they now make them with copper leads these would be awsome. But the model shown on the website are far from state of the art sonically. They were made to work in a 600 degree environment, not offer special electrical characteristics.

George

Are all of the H-numbered caps teflon/foil, or metallized teflon? What about the blue lines on one end of the metal can, does it mean teflon?
Maybe the H is for Haliburton?

I have some of these teflon caps and have also used them in an RIAA equalizer. They made a great improvement. I broke some of them open to see if they were teflon, but they are worth some big bucks, kinda hurts.

Since you are/were in Houston you probably remember City Electronics. He had a ton of these teflons and other metal can caps for sale, many were Texcap. Texcap was located on Westglen near City Elec. and I think he knew the owner of Texcap and got a lot of these teflons when Texcap closed down sometime in the 80s. I found a card at City years ago from Don Carpenter at Texcap, it gives the address. I walked into City years ago and he was throwing away a lot of junk components. Texcap was also apparently a licensee (or made some sort of attempt, lots of duds) of Ultronix for precision wire resistors. A lot of this Texcap junk was botched up components that were out of tolerance and otherwise out of spec. I surmise that they went down because they got sloppy and ruined their reputation.

Were you associated with Texcap and might know what their dielectric codes are? Their old codes (20-series, 70-series etc) are no mystery, but their new codes are not listed anywhere that I can find. I ran across this thread when I did a search on Texcap. I try every few months so see what might appear. Any information about these caps will be useful. Potter is another company that dumped a lot of surplus in Houston, also no info. Thayer is also a mystery. They were probably focused on custom products for the oil industry.

If I botched this post please accept my apologies. haven't read the rules yet. I hope this forum will send me an email if you or anyone else replies. When all else fails, read the instructions. Also, CRC closed down over a year ago. There goes a big piece of American industrial/defense/space history. Dearborn has been taking thier orders. Best Regards, Mark

Hello
I have looked on the forum, and this matter is very interesting.
Do you know where I can find the capacitors of teflon crc.?
I want to change the capacitors of the solid state phono, of the riaa and those presents in the road of the signal of joining.
I for the riaa have little space, the capacitors are from 27nf and 4,7nf and I want to know what capacitors you to recommend for riaa.
I for the joinings have a lot of space, the capacitors are from 3,3uf.
I would like one suggestion of yours.
graces and regards :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.