Aleph J for Universal Mounting Spec

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've got the input Jfets, I can get plenty of matched output Mosfets from Buzz, and the limiter and CCS use the ZTX bipolard that are avaliable in quantities big enough to stun whole herds of oxen. The Passives are all easy, I'll order fresh capacitors. My local surplus store usually has very nice resistors. I'll probably only include 2 pots (R7 and R27, off the top of my head) which are the offset control and the bias control. Bourns or Vishay.

I like nice parts as much as the next guy. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Since these boards sold out a month before release, will there be another batch in the future?

Mind you, I ordered a complete ACA kit, so ill be busy for a little while, but the Aleph amp looks to have the qualities I'm looking for, and would be a great amp to make without a full kit, such as I have done so far.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Super, I figured it could not hurt to get some boards, and the harder to find semiconductors, for whenever I get the time, and the mood for trying to build another amp.

I will be happy enough for now with the "soon to come" ACA kit!

I have seen some designs move out of reach with out of production parts disappearing.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My boards shipped today. They will beat the ACA kit, that I plan to assemble first. I will need to get the BOM printed out for the Aleph J, and PSU (and somewhere in there order the universal PSU boards)

Transformer though, 300VA is enough for single toroid? Thinking I don't really have room in my setup for a 2-4 box dual mono setup with dual trannies, although perhaps I do what 6L6 did with bolting 2 transformers together in the one box. Even if the PSU components are in a separate case, the amp case with its 2 large heat sinks tend to be as big as a case to hold the whole thing.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, 300VA will be sufficient.

Thanks, something less to worry about by this DIY newbie. The Aleph J will be one step closer to a true DIY project for me. I have built several all included kits now, with the ACA up next. I will be finding all the parts myself for the Aleph J, based on the boards here.

Quite the adventure for this 54 year old orthopedist who started his DIY career building a "crystal radio". I have virtually no electronic experience, other than the last few years of reading forums, and building the kits.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
friendly reminder...

For you guys about to build this (I've got pcb's coming too), please note that R5 dissipates ~300mW, a .25W rated resistor is no good there. Zen Mod mentions it way back in the beginning of the other Aleph J thread. Sorry if this was already brought up recently and I missed it...