Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J for Universal Mounting Spec
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 05:08 AM   #721
mrmky is offline mrmky  United States
diyAudio Member

Getting ready to start my first Pass build. I’ve done a lot of reading and as I’m still a rookie at electronics, I’m looking for verification. My primary speakers are Altec 605a’s, they are around 100db at 1 watt and 16 ohm, is the aleph a good match? Maybe I’d be just as well served with an ACA? I have an Antek 18-0-18 400va on the way as that seems to be compatible with several of the Pass builds.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:10 AM   #722
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Aleph J is a fantastic match for your speakers! Probably the best choice out of the entire series.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:16 AM   #723
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Build both ACA and Aleph J.
Both are great and both are suitable with your speakers.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:40 AM   #724
mrmky is offline mrmky  United States
diyAudio Member

Lol,if I could afford it I’d build them all! This hobby is quickly turning into an addiction. Thanks for the quick responses. I’m afraid it will have to be one or the other, at least till next year probably. I have decent soldering skills and have done a couple recapping jobs and just populated new boards on an old hafler dh-200. I’m really wanting to try out a class A design though. I’m leaning towards the aleph, does it do anything the aca doesn’t? I think if I do the aca I’ll just wonder what I’m missing with the aleph....
Old 11th October 2017, 05:48 AM   #725
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Build one a year.
My parents pay way more than that in Golf membership fees. That's before they even play one game of golf.

Last edited by 2 picoDumbs; 11th October 2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:51 AM   #726
Bones13 is offline Bones13  United States
Techie Wanabe
diyAudio Member

The ACA is a great, and safe, way to see how you like DIY audio. I got the full kit a few years ago, when I started. My speakers are ZuAudio high sensitivity full range speakers. They sounded great with the ACA.

They sound even better with the DIY Aleph J that I built next. VFet monoblock amps in production. It is a slippery slope...
Old 18th October 2017, 05:02 PM   #727
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

A couple of quick questions if I may. I have a power supply of -24v/+24v. Is this sufficient or should I go after more voltage? And, can I mount this on a piece of wood to get it up and running or will I run into grounding problems. I have the boards and matched J74's. My speakers are open baffles. thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 05:06 PM   #728
diyAudio Moderator

That PSU is fine if of sufficient current. More voltage will be detrimental.

Yes, you may bread board it, but remember that the Mosfets must be adequately heatsinked. Alephs run hot!

It's a great amp, you'll love it.

Last edited by 6L6; 18th October 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:10 PM   #729
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmky View Post
Lol,if I could afford it Iíd build them all! This hobby is quickly turning into an addiction.
Welcome to the club. We have cookies.

Quote:
Iím leaning towards the aleph, does it do anything the aca doesnít? I think if I do the aca Iíll just wonder what Iím missing with the aleph....
If your choice is between the ACA and the Aleph J, there's no comparison in my opinion. Build the Aleph J. If for no other reason than power. The ACA is a wonderful amp, but it's still just a couple of watts. The Aleph is 25w, and sounds much, much bigger than that as it clips so incredibly gracefully. It's also my favorite FW amp. Nelson also says it's the best sounding of the entire Aleph series, and I'm inclined to agree.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:45 PM   #730
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

Thank's 6L6. looking forward to this build.

Aleph J for Universal Mounting SpecHide this!Advertise here!