Nelson Pass is *very* good, and a gracious person but...... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2012, 04:51 AM   #1
bapcha is offline bapcha  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nelson Pass is *very* good, and a gracious person but......

OK - Papa - I have been a member of DIY audio for a few days, but I know about you and that you are a very gracious and generous contributor to the DIY audio community, but I would (as an ex-circuit designer), like to honor two others that many here might not know about:
a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw

Bob Widlar invented the Widlar current source that everyone uses (without thinking about it); and Dave Fullagar's 741 op-amp is still being sold in the marketplace! Every transistor, every resistor in that circuit is/was/will be GENIUS. If one can explain the 741 to someone else, that person can (with some help from our dear Papa) - design something that can be on par with Papa's best!!!!

Finally, Brokaw - who designed the bandgap reference - the reference that until today has not been (and cannot be) improved upon - unless someone comes up with something like a Higgs-Boson reference :-) :-)

Bottom-line:
So, PAPA (or someone else) tell me what it takes to design a great amplifier (not interested in "something that sounds as good as the recorded music" - more like from a circuit perspective - something like:
a. An amp that is referenced by something invariable - like a bandgap (if this is the first time someone has heard about it, count me as the primary author on the patent - or of course there is this posting);
b. An amp that perfectly reproduces the signal into any load;
...then we go about restricting things about the load.....

Sincerely,
Bapcha Man,
Aptos, CA.
Semiconductor Marketer Extraordinaire

Old 2nd December 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapcha View Post
...I would (as an ex-circuit designer), like to honor two others that many here might not know about:
a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw
That's three, not two. And I doubt that anyone here is unaware of them.

Old 4th December 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapcha View Post
OK - Papa - I have been a member of DIY audio for a few days, but I know about you and that you are a very gracious and generous contributor to the DIY audio community, but I would (as an ex-circuit designer), like to honor two others that many here might not know about:
a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw
It seems a bit odd to me that you would call out Nelson Pass and his accomplishments, even from behind an ostensibly friendly grin, in an attempt to otherwise honor a particular few known engineers who are not named Nelson Pass. You could have achieved the latter objective without seeking to juxtapose Nelson and his accomplishments. It is not necessary to publicly call on the humility of the one, in order to elevate the accomplishments of the others, if that is not too strong an interpretation of what you are attempting here.

In addition, your list commits the sin of omission regarding many very significant contemporary and historical audio engineers. The list is long and illustrious, arguably beginning in Bell Labs from the 1920's, such as with Black's patent on negative feedback and feedforward theory for example. Analog telephony was essential audio engineering. So yes, we are familiar with the Widlar current source, and Wilson current mirrors, and the Gilbert cell invented by Barrie Gilbert, and a good many other things. Perhaps, you might spend a little more time here before making presumptions about what we may, or may not, know about. Sorry, of this comment is overly snippy.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 4th December 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Old 4th December 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
The one and only

These are persons who stood on the shoulders of giants.

I ride their coat tails.

Old 4th December 2012, 02:43 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

well, not many of them have the patience to help us here

Old 4th December 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Much too modest (but who is surprised?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
well, not many of them have the patience to help us here
Hear, hear !!!

Old 5th December 2012, 08:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I do have a question for papa. I say a video from CES on the amps you make a living. Would you impart any info about the power supplies for those bad boys ?

Old 5th December 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
The one and only

They are quite big and heavy, but otherwise pretty conventional.

Old 5th December 2012, 09:19 PM   #9
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I have never heard of such people. But I have heard of Nelson Pass =P

Old 5th December 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

my Pa is smarter than your Nelson

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!