Nelson Pass is *very* good, and a gracious person but......

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - Papa - I have been a member of DIY audio for a few days, but I know about you and that you are a very gracious and generous contributor to the DIY audio community, but I would (as an ex-circuit designer), like to honor two others that many here might not know about:
a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw

Bob Widlar invented the Widlar current source that everyone uses (without thinking about it); and Dave Fullagar's 741 op-amp is still being sold in the marketplace! Every transistor, every resistor in that circuit is/was/will be GENIUS. If one can explain the 741 to someone else, that person can (with some help from our dear Papa) - design something that can be on par with Papa's best!!!!

Finally, Brokaw - who designed the bandgap reference - the reference that until today has not been (and cannot be) improved upon - unless someone comes up with something like a Higgs-Boson reference :) :)

Bottom-line:
So, PAPA (or someone else) tell me what it takes to design a great amplifier (not interested in "something that sounds as good as the recorded music" - more like from a circuit perspective - something like:
a. An amp that is referenced by something invariable - like a bandgap (if this is the first time someone has heard about it, count me as the primary author on the patent - or of course there is this posting);
b. An amp that perfectly reproduces the signal into any load;
...then we go about restricting things about the load.....

Sincerely,
Bapcha Man,
Aptos, CA.
Semiconductor Marketer Extraordinaire :)

OK - Papa - I have been a member of DIY audio for a few days, but I know about you and that you are a very gracious and generous contributor to the DIY audio community, but I would (as an ex-circuit designer), like to honor two others that many here might not know about:
a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw

It seems a bit odd to me that you would call out Nelson Pass and his accomplishments, even from behind an ostensibly friendly grin, in an attempt to otherwise honor a particular few known engineers who are not named Nelson Pass. You could have achieved the latter objective without seeking to juxtapose Nelson and his accomplishments. It is not necessary to publicly call on the humility of the one, in order to elevate the accomplishments of the others, if that is not too strong an interpretation of what you are attempting here.

In addition, your list commits the sin of omission regarding many very significant contemporary and historical audio engineers. The list is long and illustrious, arguably beginning in Bell Labs from the 1920's, such as with Black's patent on negative feedback and feedforward theory for example. Analog telephony was essential audio engineering. So yes, we are familiar with the Widlar current source, and Wilson current mirrors, and the Gilbert cell invented by Barrie Gilbert, and a good many other things. Perhaps, you might spend a little more time here before making presumptions about what we may, or may not, know about. Sorry, of this comment is overly snippy.

Last edited:
I don't think Baptcha is trying to call anyone out, he just wanted to give some credit to some guys who seem to be forgotten about quite often. I think he is trying to push amplifier design dialog in a new direction; by adding a new view point which he feels has not been addressed yet. I have tried to do the same thing in some ways but I have found that sometimes it is hard to get people to bend their imagination in a way they have not bent it before.

a. Bob Widlar (RIP)
b. Dave Fullagar
c. Paul Brokaw

Bob Widlar invented the Widlar current source that everyone uses (without thinking about it); and Dave Fullagar's 741 op-amp is still being sold in the marketplace! Every transistor, every resistor in that circuit is/was/will be GENIUS. If one can explain the 741 to someone else, that person can (with some help from our dear Papa) - design something that can be on par with Papa's best!!!!

Finally, Brokaw - who designed the bandgap reference - the reference that until today has not been (and cannot be) improved upon - unless someone comes up with something like a Higgs-Boson reference :) :)

Bottom-line:
So, PAPA (or someone else) tell me what it takes to design a great amplifier (not interested in "something that sounds as good as the recorded music" - more like from a circuit perspective - something like:
a. An amp that is referenced by something invariable - like a bandgap (if this is the first time someone has heard about it, count me as the primary author on the patent - or of course there is this posting);
b. An amp that perfectly reproduces the signal into any load;
...then we go about restricting things about the load.....

Sincerely,
Bapcha Man,
Aptos, CA.
Semiconductor Marketer Extraordinaire :)

What about Robert Allen (Bob) Pease and Peter-James Baxandall ?
go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Pease
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/86276-bob-pease-new-lm4562.html
and
post #71, 103 and 87 by
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/25172-baxandall-super-pair.html so as
Republished: Baxandall and Self on Audio Power - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

read also pdf attachment by post #15 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...based-james-baxandalls-topology-wanted-2.html

Last edited:
I always thought Nelson was most well known for his wrestling move, not his amps:clown:

sorry:D

Attachments

• Figure3.jpg
    Figure3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 626
I started my EE degree in '95 and internet was still in diapers. Even back then NP was helping and motivating diy'ers. The A40 amp got me hooked, my self-designed amp no2 was heavily based on NP's mosfet KISS jobs.
Over the years I've found interest in early electronics (tubes) and read about countless innovators. For some reason only one is easily recollected by my aking greys: Nelson Pass. Not brown-nosing here, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.