Cascoded F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was trying to be too clever: All else falls into place once the HS are selected, because to choose a HS, one must first have decided power output, number of output devices, and bias point, which combined decide the PS size. Also, the HS sets most of the cost and influences the construction type (appearance).

Using 18VAC secondaries takes the "need" to cascode away. You can just use a few jumpers on the PCB and not use the cascode hardware. The original F5 was built with 18VAC secondaries without cacodes. However, for more output power you probably want higher voltage secondaries and a cascoded input.
There is also the possibility that cascoding could give better sound? There is no reason you can't use the cascode with your 18VAC secvondaries.

The single best place to start reading is the First Watt site.

Download and read the F5 manual. It explains in large detail how it works and how it can be configured.
The cascoded part is nicely described on the F5T article that again can be found on the First Watt site.

Hey guys take a look at this and tell ne what you think

Sjostrom Audio RFB02 Rectifier Bridge

Attachments

• sjoestroem bridge.jpg
    sjoestroem bridge.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 195
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... tell me what you think

that you should try and learn to wire them yourself
after that you are free to buy it 'readymade' :D

Dantimax.com boards
at Mikkel's prices can afford to use two boards per channel
though Im not a fan of those screw teminals
and 10A may be a bit on the low side

Attachments

• dantimax Bridge1_photo.180_250.jpg
    dantimax Bridge1_photo.180_250.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 202
Tinitus, I have the universal power supply board, it has several things I don't really care fore 1) rectifier section, 2) power-supply caps if using 8 are 30mm diameter and 3) the screw mounting holes are to close to the caps so now a 25mm almost becomes your max diameter. Ideally I would like to see something like the "Chipamps.com" Aleph psu boards but with 8 caps @ 40mm..... This is what I'll probably end up doing >
208808d1297145319-f4-psu-help-needed-please-f4-final-layout.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.