Broken A 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of years ago I build me two Aleph 30, based on boards from chip amp. The miniA but with 6 output devices for use with my Orion setup, top channels. They have been playing great until some weeks ago when one of the channels gave up :( No heat and not much of sound unfortunately! Measuring is not my strong side but after changing q3 on the faulty channel all of my channels where playing happily until the same q3 broke again the other night! :(
Something else has to bee wrong, right, besides the brokenq3? Could someone please point me in the right direction where to start looking?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Correct me if wrong original poster, but I think your question is more basic. Is your query more like "yes I have a correct channel, I dont know what to measure to compare?" If so, I find myself in the same boat if one of my channels failed. I am watching this one and am all ears!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Start by looking at this: pdf by Algar_emi

Also, post, post, post pictures. There might be something that can be found by looking at pictures of your pcb, parts, layout, etc.

Steve

Excellent post! I forgot about it. All I could do without it is look for toasted/discolored parts! If I recall correctly this pic also shows a number of nice things to add, pots to zero off set and a few other things. Thanks for reminding me of it! Helpful for most any Aleph.

Russellc

So, back from holiday, started measuring. Finds that after R112 where there's supposed to be +15V
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
I have same voltage as from V+, 24,5. This can't be right, right? I don't get the 4V that I have on the current source - compared with working channel :) I think my mystery is solved or can something else have broken bescause of this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.