diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   DIY B1 on eBay - a Problem? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/222696-diy-b1-ebay-problem.html)

gmoore3181 2nd November 2012 03:04 AM

DIY B1 on eBay - a Problem?

I just spotted this: Pass B1 Preamplifier - Full Class A, SE FET Buffer with Matched Junction-FETs! | eBay

It's obvious to me that it's not genuine - but seems to be going against the spirit of Nelson's sharing of the circuit and the IP, not to mention that the seller uses his name in the auction title...

I think it's uncool and have contacted him asking him to take it down, but was just curious - I'm sure this goes on a lot - do we report these to eBay? Ask them to take them down? Ignore it and hope it'll go away? Track them down, and set them on fire?

What say you all?

tabarddn 2nd November 2012 03:52 AM

Hi, It seems to me that it is a Chinese made board. You can see many for sale here. However you should note that it is being sold as a second hand product, I am sure (I have anyway) many people have sold of projects that they have built in the past but no longer use now. So although it may be unpalatable I don't see there is anything you can do.

cotdt 2nd November 2012 04:32 AM

It's just a one off, 2nd hand DIY-made B1 buffer. People sell their DIY Pass Labs clones all the time here.

gmoore3181 2nd November 2012 04:42 AM

In the description the seller states that this is one of three 'in this lot'. And it's not even a PassDIY pcb.

I know I can't do anything material about this, was just curious about general attitudes, because it seems to me that it's contrary to the spirit of Nelson's sharing of the circuit.

The Space Egg Corp 2nd November 2012 04:43 AM

The guys put the cash in for the parts...
...he's put his time in building it...
...testing it etc.
Why not sell it...
...if he wants ?

Si.

hoxuanduc 2nd November 2012 05:47 AM

The seller is a thief. He stated it's a common circuit, didn't even acknowledge Mr. Pass' contribution, yet put the Pass name on the preamp to sell it.

planet10 2nd November 2012 06:04 AM

Even if it is OK to use the circuit, it is illegal, and just plain poor manners to use the Pass trademark.

It is also taking money out of those sellers whom Nelson has given a licence to produce his work and use his name.

These guys for instance.

dave

gmoore3181 2nd November 2012 09:32 AM

I've got one of those Dave. Great isn't it?

planet10 2nd November 2012 09:46 AM

Mine is still a board. I have 3 other B1s to. One an inheritance that kist needs trouble shooting.

dave

AndrewT 2nd November 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

This is not an official Pass Labs product
from the first line of the description.
The title does not use PASS.
The seller is up front and does not hide anything.
He even gives a link to the PASS B1.

I see nothing wrong with selling his (series of) pre-amps.