SiC alternatives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The announcement about the closure of SemiSouth is indeed sad news, but this is not the end. If anything, SiC technology is only just starting to take off. Semisouth were certainly pioneers, but now there are a number of other semiconductor manufacturers starting to release their own SiC products.

I thought I'd start a thread on possible alternatives, hopefully others will add to this. There's plenty of interesting stuff on the horizon, but how much will be available to us DIYers?

Available 'Off the Shelf':

Semisouth - don't forget there will still be some stock at distributors for a while.

Cree - CMF20120D SiC Mosfet
Cree Power Products Z-FET SiC MOSFET and Z-Red SiC Schottky Diodes
Available from the major catalog distributors.

Available to OEM, possibly thru distribution:

Rohm - p/n SCH2080KEC 1200V Sic Mosfet
SiC MOSFET | ROHM Product Search Results

The Rohm website says samples are available.

Available 'real soon'

Infineon - now this is interesting, they are promoting a range of normally-on SiC JFETs. Samples are available '3Q2012' and meant to be in production next year.

CoolSiC? 1200V SiC JFET & Direct Drive Technology - Infineon Technologies

ST have also announced SiC Mosfets. See the link below for a presentation on technology for solar applications. Page 16 mentions a family of 1200V SiC Mosfets. I couldn't find anything more on their website, so probably still in development.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/SALE...SENTATION/stforsolarenergy_marketing_pres.pdf

GeneSiC - Have a range of SiC Super-Junction transistors on their website.
Mouser list a few 1700V devices on their website but no stock yet. Pricing looks reasonable (for the commercial temperature stuff - don't look at the +225C rated parts!!)

'Blue Skies' stuff:

These manufacturers mention SiC transistors, but little information on their website. Probably of limited interest to DIY as they'll be working directly with end customers on very specific applications.

Transic: Welcome to TranSiC
United Silicon Carbide Inc: United Silicon Carbide - high efficiency SiC power devices and sevices, JFET supplier

Any more?

yes, you'd need one of those transformer thingies !

Actually, I think Cree has quite a bit of ambition yet and we'll see more from them. But the market is for switching devices, if they are linear that is only a side bonus. Perhaps good for Class D audio?

For Class A the Ciss seems often to be a bit on the high side for my liking, especially at reasonable voltages & currents.

This is unfair. I was going to ask you to help me with distribution of my tube amps, now it seems we are competing? :eek:

I was poking around today and found them at about $95 per - which IIRC is even more than Cree parts. I got curious and tried to find a data sheet that wasn't a marketing tear sheet on solar - no luck, so no clue what the curves on these look like. Also checked on any prelim design attempts anyone might've tried - no luck there either.

I suppose someone could take one for the team and drop one in a design meant for the SJDP120R085 (is there one? AmpCamp?), but that's an expensive experiment.

I was poking around today and found them at about $95 per - which IIRC is even more than Cree parts. I got curious and tried to find a data sheet that wasn't a marketing tear sheet on solar - no luck, so no clue what the curves on these look like. Also checked on any prelim design attempts anyone might've tried - no luck there either.

I suppose someone could take one for the team and drop one in a design meant for the SJDP120R085 (is there one? AmpCamp?), but that's an expensive experiment.

Which part was this that you found ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.