Semisouth goes Dodo ; what now ?

Completely agree with Jon.

GeneSiC's SJTs offer the best I-V linearity than ANY other transistor made in Silicon Carbide. The latest generation of SiC Junction Transistors (eg. GA10JT12-247) will offer better audio quality than anything else on the market.

Semisouthfan is simply a failed loser. And Gyuri, you should make your opinions based on real data - not hearsay - that's not a mark of a good scientist or a good experimentalist.

It would be constructive for you to make available samples of your devices to members of this forum to experiment with. This way it can be determined whether or not your claims hold true for our applications. I strongly suggest you start with Nelson Pass.

Semisouthfan is simply a failed loser. And Gyuri, you should make your opinions based on real data - not hearsay - that's not a mark of a good scientist or a good experimentalist.

Why is it that I like better losers?
Probably because of the similarity of mind.
Well, it seems to me, this is not the beginning of a friendship.

As I can see, in business not always the better will survive.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

And people like this folks, if they come in flocks, will make me leave the audio hobby.
Your attitude is simply unwelcome here. Calling someone a loser? Is this bully grade-school talk? Calling someone a poor scientist? That's mean at best and libel at worst. This is not the IEEE, this is an social audio board for audio and music lovers.
Unless your product can make unicorns and fairies sing Metallicas "Unforgiven" to me, I don't plan on ever using it. It's off the radar due to poor customer service.

Last edited:
Zen Mod, You are the one in need of some manners here. Where were you when Semisouthfan was bad-mouthing GeneSiC in posts #128 and #138?

GeneSiC's SiC transistors products have been available through mainstream semiconductor device distributors (Digikey, Mouser, element14/Newark, Arrow) since before Semisouth ever had made them sell openly. So, it has been PUT UP for a WHILE.. Are you looking, or just going by what others are saying?

I see no poor manors or derogatory name calling in those posts. The strongest words used were associated with marketing. That in itself is not generally considered bad but, the reality is, used car salesman that can't sell cars can be marketing execs. I suppose you'll go off on me for saying that.
The point is, a noob walking all over this group like a know it all, will get back what he brings and then some. Have you done what SS and Semisouthfan have done? Are you willing to explain what you say to help us understand what it is your pushing? Someone brought up samples, are you willing to help us get samples?
Lose the personal attacks like "loser" or things wont go well here :D
Thx

GeneSiC's SJTs offer the best I-V linearity than ANY other transistor made in Silicon Carbide.
GeneSiC's SiC transistors products have been available through mainstream semiconductor device distributors (Digikey, Mouser, element14/Newark, Arrow) since before Semisouth ever had made them sell openly. So, it has been PUT UP for a WHILE.. Are you looking, or just going by what others are saying?

In 75% of your posts to date you have bragged about your SJTs being superior to any other option available for audio. Indeed, they may have been commercially available for some time now. However, what you need to comprehend is that you are participating in a DO IT YOURSELF audio forum.

Many DIYers, such as myself, are really CHEAP. We aren't going to spend $20.00 for each part to experiment with an unproven component. We wait until someone much more experienced like NP shows us how great it is. Then we flock to Mouser or Digikey to buy tens, if not hundreds, of the parts. You are not going to improve your company's bottom line from what takes place here.

If you joined DIYaudio today to simply respond to a post you took issue with, that was the wrong motivation. Flames are a waste of everyone's time, including yours. On the other hand, if you are here to share with us the excitement of finding a new and wonderful option for producing beautiful music, great. Make some of those devices available either as samples or at cost so they can be tested for our application.

Edit: My dog demanded my attention, so it took 20 minutes to post this. :) It's good to see you are willing to send some samples. Once again, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
WBS, Thanks for your constructive comments.

I hear you about making samples available, but am not able to understand EXACTLY how to make them available - ofcourse, we cannot make more than a handful available. I do not know Nelson Pass, but he seems to get the respect of everyone here, so I am happy to make them available to him.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen Mod, You are the one in need of some manners here. Where were you when Semisouthfan was bad-mouthing GeneSiC in posts #128 and #138?

well , call me a looser , but I can't see any name-calling activities in these two posts :

Astute observation. This is a SiC Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT). Ranbir Singh, the founder and chief cut up of GeneSiC has been trying to "disguise" this part as anything but a BJT for years. He seems to be trying to introduce maximum confusion. In the Mouser link to a similar part it is described as "MOSFET SiC Supr Jnctn Trans" where Supr Jnctn = "super junction" transistor.

I think Ranbir intended to associate his technology with the "super junction" class of silicon MOSFETs to deflect concern about the problems with bipolar transistors in SiC. But please don't be fooled, this part is NOT a MOSFET or a JFET. When I asked him about the name he didn't really have a good answer except "marketing." I watched Dan Kinzer, who is a well respected silicon power MOSFET expert that is now hawking SiC BJTs for Fairchild, joke Ranbir about "super junction" at a conference two years ago. The whole room broke into laughter. Moral of the story? Sometimes it's hard to come up with those clever brand names. :RIP:

It's interesting that the data sheet for the GA20JT12-247, roughly comparable to the R100, is filled with TBD, but it includes an entry for DC Current Gain or "beta" (value also TBD but BF = 100 in the Spice model at the end of the data sheet). Nobody selling a MOSFET or JFET would EVER put beta in a data sheet. Beta is for BJTs, which Ranbir admitted this part is when Dan asked him in public. I haven't heard the super junction term used much since and I notice that the datasheet omits the phrase "super junction." But on p. 6 you can see "SJT" in the gate drive section.

Does that mean the GA20JT12-247 can't replace the fine SemiSouth JFET in Pass amplifiers? Maybe, maybe not. You can try it, but based on pricing on Mouser for other available parts, I speculate that the 70 mOhm part, when available, won't be cheaper than a SemiSouth JFET and I can still get you those.

That Ranbir, what a comedian!!

Nothing wrong I suppose with giving someone the benefit of the doubt. But this confusion was injected for marketing reasons understandable in the context of the reliability concerns of SiC BJTs and the history of Si BJTs in power electronics.

You are absolutely correct in saying that the forward bias voltage in the GeneSiC datasheet is unlike a silicon NPN BJT, but it is perfectly in line with a silicon-carbide NPN BJT. The difference is due fundamentally to the large separation in bandgap energy between silicon and silicon carbide, which is why the former is a "narrow bandgap" semiconductor while the latter is a "wide bandgap" semiconductor. The difference in bandgap energies is also why SiC makes such better performing switching transistors. But this difference also means that a typical forward-bias voltage of a 4H-SiC base-emitter junction is 3 V, much larger than the 0.7 V of a Si base-emitter junction. (You can use this difference to spot Si BJTs being used to fake SiC JFETs, see my post and article on that.) The base-emitter forward bias voltage of the native NPN model in SPICE was adjusted in GeneSiC's spice model to account for this (IS = 5E-47 A and VJE = 3 V). Try it and see.

An expert of the caliber of Ranbir Singh knows all of this. Even Dan Kinzer in a plenary speech to the Applied Power Electronics Conference was nearly over the top in characterizing the virtues of the SiC BJT in the furtherance of Fairchild's marketing objectives, and he was not shy about characterizing the silicon BJT as a poor cousin. But he called his device a BJT. In my humble opinion Ranbir should too.

except prepared play-field for you or anyone else interested to discuss some technical and not so technical things about all things Semi, which can teach us , Greedy Boyz , something new .

being wakoo parts or not , Semisouth parts came to DIY crowd long before Mr. Mazzola came to Forum ;

what you can do , at least what's in our interest , is to shed some light on parts made by your company

if they're good , believe me - that's all of (and certainly strongest possible) credit you need in this place

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

I hear you about making samples available, but am not able to understand EXACTLY how to make them available - ofcourse, we cannot make more than a handful available. I do not know Nelson Pass, but he seems to get the respect of everyone here, so I am happy to make them available to him.

www.passlabs.com

www.firstwatt.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Pass

reachable at >nelson@passlabs.com<

which is important , in two possible ways :

-you are interested in audio electronics
-your company is interested in (frankly , not so big ) audio electronic parts market

Great! I don't know the best way to contact him. However, at the bottom of the FirstWatt home page you'll find an email address. I don't want to post it here for spambots to find.

Thanks for making this more interesting!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I will simply have my purchasing person get them from Digikey, thanks.

:cool:

:rofl:

which means you're going to use another pair of slippers , to get in that person boots

Attachments

• Papashark slippers.jpg
    Papashark slippers.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 435
Nelson, Thanks. Please ask them for GA10JT12-247 - they represent devices that feature our latest/greatest technology at a reasonable price. Unless you want to go for surface mount (eg. GA05JT12-263, GA10JT12-263 etc.); or the more expensive 1700 V devices (GA04JT17-247, GA16JT17-247 etc.), which also offer our latest technology.