Pass at BAF 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am informed that we will have a room as usual, and this time I plan to
bring a new open baffle speaker with some Lowther field coils and of course
electronics to play them. The F6 will be there, as well as some SIT amps.

People with their own DIY power amplifiers are invited to bring them to
demonstrate in this system.

I also plan to give a tutorial talk about the F6 design, along with amusing
general comments.

:cool:

+1 on the video... suggestion for the videographer: last year was a worthy effort for those of us far far away, but reckon we need the camera zoomed in and focussed on the screen... accompanied with a reasonably close miked voiceover of nelson's dulcet tones :)

That said, however good the video may be, it would still be a poor substitute for the experience of being there in person ...

Last edited:
I am informed that we will have a room as usual, and this time I plan to
bring a new open baffle speaker with some Lowther field coils and of course
electronics to play them. The F6 will be there, as well as some SIT amps.

People with their own DIY power amplifiers are invited to bring them to
demonstrate in this system.

I also plan to give a tutorial talk about the F6 design, along with amusing
general comments.

:cool:
Please show the impedance versus frequency plot/curve of the OB speaker above; or a published one like it. Thank you

I have some things to tickle those field coils...
The Lowther website writes about a Hi-Ferric technology in its DX series. Interesting mechanism of action. A rear-view picture of a DX driver did not show independent connections to "field coils"; as reminescent of ancient drivers. It has a magnet, and only the usual two connections to a power amp. The peak excursion of the diaphragm was quoted at 2 millimeters peak to peak. Prices [in Pounds Sterling] appeared reasonable in the range for~280-550. However; no impedance versus frequency plot was shown for any one driver.

SIT [or other FET] driving the Field and Voice Coils of Lowther

Mr. Pass: The Rothacher SIT amp Version 2 used an inductance as a load to the SIT. I have [mentally] replaced Rothacher's coil with the Field Coil of the Lowther you'll be using for BAF 2012. The attached file [lowthersit.pdf] shows a proposed schematic whereby a SIT [or other FET] simultaneously drives the Field and the Voice Coils of this loudspeaker. This is a new situation of a fixed plus a signal modulated loudspeaker magnetic field. By comparison, Lowther-America recommends using a clean DC power supply to generate a fixed magnetic field.

Attachments

• lowthersit.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 98
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
somehow I have impression that both Lowther and your ears wouldn't be happy with that solution

in dark ages , FC of speaker was used as choke in PS , for tooboolar amps ; and even then,when Movie Theater was crowded , demanding more A2 from flea powerful amps ..... entire first row of spectators wasn't entirely happy .......

then they invented pentodes and PP , screaming how there is free lunch , at last

:clown:

somehow I have impression that both Lowther and your ears wouldn't be happy with that solution

in dark ages , FC of speaker was used as choke in PS , for tooboolar amps ; and even then,when Movie Theater was crowded , demanding more A2 from flea powerful amps ..... entire first row of spectators wasn't entirely happy .......

then they invented pentodes and PP , screaming how there is free lunch , at last

never say never.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
never say never.

intention of revived (not just nowadays) using of FC in speaker construction is impeccable constant magnetic flux , not influenced with constant variable EMF made by vibrating voice coil

sort of idea that FC is having much lesser "intrinsic impedance " than any permanent magnet

even if you embrace idea of using FC as (even just partial ) choke load for amp , connected to counteract non-linear distortion in rest of speaker/amp combo , I resume that having any success demands sooooooooo complicated and loooong process

not fun

Status
Not open for further replies.