Pass at BAF 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
intention of revived (not just nowadays) using of FC in speaker construction is impeccable constant magnetic flux , not influenced with constant variable EMF made by vibrating voice coil

sort of idea that FC is having much lesser "intrinsic impedance " than any permanent magnet

even if you embrace idea of using FC as (even just partial ) choke load for amp , connected to counteract non-linear distortion in rest of speaker/amp combo , I resume that having any success demands sooooooooo complicated and loooong process

not fun

:clown:
Hopefully experiments to do by speakert makers and other enthusiasts. Who ever thought Lowther will use the old technology field coils in today's prevalent of strong and small magnets?

PM5A is a type of Lowther.
Thanks Tea-Bag. Found info in a 6moons review of the Lowther driver. Of interest is the underlined from the same review.

"The latest rage on the net is all about the superiority of full-range field-coil drivers on open baffles. I ordered myself a pair of easily accessible Supravox 215-2000 EXC eight-inchers. I wanted to compare these field-coil drivers to the fixed magnet Lowther on the same baffles."

I am informed that we will have a room as usual, and this time I plan to
bring a new open baffle speaker with some Lowther field coils and of course
electronics to play them. The F6 will be there, as well as some SIT amps.

People with their own DIY power amplifiers are invited to bring them to
demonstrate in this system.

I also plan to give a tutorial talk about the F6 design, along with amusing
general comments.

:cool:

Chaps - its 9.20am here which means that the big day at BAF is pretty much done I imagine:) Anyone who was there can share some impressions about the F6 ? How did it sound ? Any new insights into the design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.