Pass at BAF 2012 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 01:36 AM   #11
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Bwoy,

Am i out of the loop or what , what's an F6 and why should i like it,

Is it ZM endorsed .
Old 19th October 2012, 02:56 AM   #12
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
All attending people would be forced to flee from the impending irrational and overly exuberant conversations, interesting only to me.
That actually sounds very interesting, and entertaining. You should go! What the heck, last minute stuff can be cheap...
Old 19th October 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

HA! Thanks 6L6. Iwish.
Old 19th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
I have some things to tickle those field coils...
The Lowther website writes about a Hi-Ferric technology in its DX series. Interesting mechanism of action. A rear-view picture of a DX driver did not show independent connections to "field coils"; as reminescent of ancient drivers. It has a magnet, and only the usual two connections to a power amp. The peak excursion of the diaphragm was quoted at 2 millimeters peak to peak. Prices [in Pounds Sterling] appeared reasonable in the range for~280-550. However; no impedance versus frequency plot was shown for any one driver.
Old 19th October 2012, 03:02 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The following is a brief excerpt from the write-up on the field Coil Lowther at www.lowther-america.com.

"The field coil Lowther is a brand new design. It uses current through a large copper coil to create the magnetic field rather than the standard permanent magnet".

Details at web site.

Last edited by Antoinel; 19th October 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default SIT [or other FET] driving the Field and Voice Coils of Lowther

Mr. Pass: The Rothacher SIT amp Version 2 used an inductance as a load to the SIT. I have [mentally] replaced Rothacher's coil with the Field Coil of the Lowther you'll be using for BAF 2012. The attached file [lowthersit.pdf] shows a proposed schematic whereby a SIT [or other FET] simultaneously drives the Field and the Voice Coils of this loudspeaker. This is a new situation of a fixed plus a signal modulated loudspeaker magnetic field. By comparison, Lowther-America recommends using a clean DC power supply to generate a fixed magnetic field.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lowthersit.pdf (22.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

somehow I have impression that both Lowther and your ears wouldn't be happy with that solution

in dark ages , FC of speaker was used as choke in PS , for tooboolar amps ; and even then,when Movie Theater was crowded , demanding more A2 from flea powerful amps ..... entire first row of spectators wasn't entirely happy .......

then they invented pentodes and PP , screaming how there is free lunch , at last

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
somehow I have impression that both Lowther and your ears wouldn't be happy with that solution

in dark ages , FC of speaker was used as choke in PS , for tooboolar amps ; and even then,when Movie Theater was crowded , demanding more A2 from flea powerful amps ..... entire first row of spectators wasn't entirely happy .......

then they invented pentodes and PP , screaming how there is free lunch , at last

never say never.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:24 PM   #19
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
Mr. Pass: The Rothacher SIT amp Version 2 used an inductance as a load to the SIT. I have [mentally] replaced Rothacher's coil with the Field Coil of the Lowther you'll be using for BAF 2012.
I think you could get away with it at low levels. I will be using a regulated
supply, however.

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
never say never.
intention of revived (not just nowadays) using of FC in speaker construction is impeccable constant magnetic flux , not influenced with constant variable EMF made by vibrating voice coil

sort of idea that FC is having much lesser "intrinsic impedance " than any permanent magnet

even if you embrace idea of using FC as (even just partial ) choke load for amp , connected to counteract non-linear distortion in rest of speaker/amp combo , I resume that having any success demands sooooooooo complicated and loooong process

not fun

Hide this!Advertise here!