Forte 1a - little buzzy, runnin' hot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings sportsfans.

I just started noticing that, on power-up, my Forte 1a is doing a little bit of 60hz buzzing, not over the outputs, but rather the physical case. Presuming its a slightly annoyed transformer? It seems like it goes away after it gets warm. (NB- it's about 21 years old... I should buy it a drink?)

Secondly- I know the rule of thumb is that it's not running 'too hot' if you can still put your hands on the heat sinks... well, I can't. Of course, I could just be wimpy... what with my delicate scientist typing hands and all.

I used my little thermal-measurin'-gun and see that it's running around 54°C/130°F, same on both sides, about 10°F warmer toward the 'front' of the heatsink (toward the faceplate) than the rear.

Thoughts? Everything OK here, nothing to see?

Indeed- I'll experiment with varying amounts of torque. Love torque.
I will elevate it a little bit above its current 'height' above the shelf it's in. It's open on all sides, so it's not a matter of circulation I don't think.

I recall seing biasing instructions on here at some point? I'm usually a +5VDC hack, but this is such a beautifully elegant/simple design it seems like I should be able to handle the work without hurting myself, or, more importantly, the amp :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.