which amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks. I just bought the kit to build a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuum speakers. I own a CJ PV5. I want to build a single ended class A amp to drive the little monitors (also my Acoustat Spectra 1100s some day, if I find myself living in a space large enough to bring them out of storage. I will also want to build a DAC, but that's for next year. I don't know enough to choose between an F3, an Aleph 3, or some other (F4?) Pass amp. Any input will be appreciated!
Thank you, Mark

Build them all! I started with a F5. It's great. Relatively simple build. Then I built an Aleph X. More complicated, more heat sinking, more matching, but more power. Now I have a Penultimate Zen and F2 waiting for me.

If this is your first amp build, I would say go F5. Sounds really really great. Lots of documentation and support. Parts are easy to find.

--------------------------------

What are your speakers (electrostatics, horns etc) and how loud do you listen?

I like to have the option to listen loud which I haven't previously had.

I have regular loud speakers from Krix Australia (Krix experience sound - Home). They are the Neuphonix. The bottom four drivers are for the base, above is the tweeter, then the mid is at the top. THey can also be bi-amped which I might consider a bit later.

Attachments

• main_neuphonix.jpg
    main_neuphonix.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 171
Build them all! I started with a F5. It's great. Relatively simple build. Then I built an Aleph X. More complicated, more heat sinking, more matching, but more power. Now I have a Penultimate Zen and F2 waiting for me.

If this is your first amp build, I would say go F5. Sounds really really great. Lots of documentation and support. Parts are easy to find.

Hey oneplustwo,

This is my first build but I have electronics background and a couple of electrical engineer friends (one of them being an audio design engineer), so they are going to help me with the build. So I think I can go straight into building the "best" amp or the amp that's best for me.

Why the Penultimate Zen? I need a fair bit of power. Would the Zen Variation 9 be the go? Did you prefer the sound of the Aleph X to the F5?

I was going to go the F5 Turbo version 3 since that has more power than the F5 but not sure if the Aleph X will sound better.

wich amp

Hi folks. I just bought the kit to build a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuum speakers. I own a CJ PV5. I want to build a single ended class A amp to drive the little monitors (also my Acoustat Spectra 1100s some day, if I find myself living in a space large enough to bring them out of storage. I will also want to build a DAC, but that's for next year. I don't know enough to choose between an F3, an Aleph 3, or some other (F4?) Pass amp. Any input will be appreciated!
Thank you, Mark

I would easily suggest aleph 3.Recently I built one.It is amazing how it sounds.Comparing with alephs 5 I used to use is slightly even better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.