F3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. I think I'll plan on building an F3.
Think carefully.
Impedance of LS3/5a is nominally 16Ohms (10 Ohms from 1989 onward). Sensitivity is very low (82dB/W/m) and the F3 is a gentle amp - it will drive the LS3/5a with 10 - 17W (depending on your speakers' impedance) which might be fine if you are OK with low to mid sound pressure levels or near field listening. F3 was conceived with high sensitivity, easy-to drive (full range) , speakers in mind...

Some data:
BBC LS3/5a loudspeaker BBC LS3/5a Specifications | Stereophile.com

I appreciate your input. I am building Jeff Bagby"s Continuum speakers which are 8 ohms and 83.5dB. I am in a small space. I was really impressed by the Six Moons review of the F3. I haven't a sense of whether the BA 1 or 3 would be nearly as good. I would build a BA3 if it will sound as good. I'd rather listen to the F3 at low volume if it is much better.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Marktd,

I'm going to go with my first inclination and start gathering parts for an F3 build. If it isn't loud enough, or I take up drinking

You'll be fine. It's a very nice amp and worth building. Chances are, you won't stop at just the Continuum. You might even try more effecient speakers down the line.

I'm teaching a friend how to solder by building the Amp Camp Amp.
He has a set of Dali speakers that are not very effeceint, so he's building a set of Madisound B_12m or BK-16 full-range speakers. They were partially developed by Planet 10, a member here. A set of speakers with box for under $400? That's pretty sweet and something to consider.

Here's my Zen 9. Pretty much an F3. Pictures always get me fired up.
Maybe it will inspire you. ;)

Good luck.

Vince

Attachments

• Zen9_1.jpg
    Zen9_1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Zen9_2.jpg
    Zen9_2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 296
  • zen9_ps-checkjpg.jpg
    zen9_ps-checkjpg.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 293
Joined 2000
Paid Member
They are Antek audio grade transformers. They have a shield wire that runs to ground.
Each is 18+18v, and wired for 36v AC. I don't remember the current rating, but one can just about run both channels.

Audio grade is indicated by "AS" in the model number. Its either an AS-3218 or AS-4218.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.