Class A Amp, in Car-Caravan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi :)

Ok, Im looking at building a new amp and id like it to be able to run ideally from a 12v car battery, Ive Built the Zen V4 (lovely!) and the F5 for a friend (more lovely!) Ok so for the questions! on a 12v class A

Is this possible ? will it drain the battery too much ? (i would use a separate battery perhaps)

How about the Mini Aleph ? does anyone have a best place to buy for price ?
how about the ebay clones like this one ? id prefer to find more legitimate versions!

would Aleph-M sound ok at 12v ?

Do i need any extra filtering other than caps ?

As you can tell Ive loved the Nelson Pass sound, so wish to continue down this road, me and the lady are going to live traveling so out with the mains and in with the battery/solar power :D

the only other option I have found is here "Andrea Ciuffoli:Class a car"
as you can see Ive Pretty much made my mind up on the Aleph-M just thought id double check with the pros here to see if there are better ideas and if my idea is insane or perfectly doable!

Thanks Riki

12Vdc will limit the maximum output of the amplifier to <11Vpp.
Into 4ohms, the maximum power will be < 5.5Vp^2 / 4r0 / 2 ~ 3.7W

Would be great for a headphone amplifier. They get 90dB to 110dB per mW whereas speakers are around 80 to 100dB/W. Yes, speakers typically need 100times more power.

Hey ok thanks

The Le Monstre can work from 2x 12v car battery's i can see that working and that's a nice possibility.

the JLH seems to be single rail but about 27v to power so... 2x battery's again which ill do if i have to.

you can also use a SMPS DC-DC supply for car amps. then you will stand a little more free regarding supply voltage.
i'm thinking about this for a F5 as car amp:) wich may be a better choise if you are using 4ohm speakers.

Sounds great ill have to get a DC-DC supply like that. The F5 ? i do love the sound of that amp but the PSU is +/- 24. is there a light or mini version of the amp around ?

Im actualy going to buy from ebay a broken Car amplifier you know the kind with large heat sinks 1000w amps etc as the chassis is perfect, I consider this a great idea as the terminals and all the plugs ill need will be already wired in too! Might as well make use of old parts!

I can imagine probably the most wise solution would be using an amp that's Class A/B.
but i have some kind of idea in my head that pure Class-A id like better lol
and a more efficient amp for the sub woofer/bass...

Last edited:
the 10W JLH runs on lower voltage.
with a DC-DC converter you can have +/-40V if you like.
siliconray have a 500W adjusteble sec and dual rail supply.
something like that is good for 2ch F5. you can also use F5 with lower voltage and bias to make a mini F5:) but are you going to run it in 4 or 8ohm?

Hi Rixta. It's not uncommon in car audio to install a second alternator and battery. That and an SMPS would give you whatever you want. My only thought was the comment that an F5 needed an hour to sound its' best. I am rarely in my car for more than an hour but that's just me. I think it's a great project. Good luck! Pics!

Well thanks for the replys! i was originally planning on building something but interestingly i ended up with an already built DIY "Le Monstre"!
which i purchased from ebay, it will be interesting to hear how this thing sounds.
i wanted to win it so i kept bidding right to the last moment :)

Here it is
2x20 watts
12v

Car Amplifier Class A, 2x20W (J .Hiraga schematic) no audison, brax, dls | eBay

Any Comments ? ill have to see whats in it!

I think ill also find or build a JLH and Mini-A some time too so i can compare and give feedback here. ill probably be running 8ohm speakers on the amps.
I agree about the F5 needing time, however it seems to sound good within a couple of minutes of on time.

As regard to the "20W Le Monstre" I just have one question i need help with, what kind of battery's should i buy ? it would be nice if they were not as big as a giant car battery. i should think i would have the amp on for 3 hours at a time max. usualy 1. then i need a good charging circuit to charge batterys from mains. for some reason i imagine having 2x series 6v battery's that's what my intuition tells me, but you can tell i don't really know what im doing yet lol

for now ill run it from a PSU buy battery's later i think

Iv'e not realy looked into how much this monster draws.

Cheers Riki

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.