"Look Ma, I have a new Xformer. Want a new toaster oven" The FuP6 amp story

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ZM,
I rewired my amp today and something curious happened. All the sudden I have oscillation problems. When i hooked up the xformers the second time, I went by the Jensen pinout, which is correct, but actual markings(polarities?) are different from BudP's. Is it possible that I did something to them? Got everything straightened out and without the fets hooked up, I have oscillation free bias on both channels. I hook the fets up and the dance begins. Even upped the gate stoppers to 470. Is it my Ikebana. Same as before. I am at loss.

I think i got it figured out. When i had the xformer hooked up wrong, it stored that dc charge in its windings. I kept retesting and retrying with proper configuration, but only with secondaries hooked up. For the hell of it, I hooked up the primaries and the FE and all is good. I am ASSuming that hooking up the FE and primaries, discharged this stored current and brought all back into mu. I may have made all of this up and it is completely bunk electronics theory:D

Give us a run down on the different transformers you have used.
What's the scoop on the old ADC? Did you get some BudP transformers? How do they sound.

Rush

Hope to listen to both tonight. It will be interesting. I will decide whether I pursue different transformers then. BudP has prrety good reputation for transformers, being the type who desing based on performance and sound. In the end, it will really be an issue of whether the amp is a keeper or not. It will go up against F5T and Ba3/BA2. I hav ethe stuff for a J2, but i would think that this amp has a similar sonic signature or at least can be made to have a similar signature. I know the J2 will haev much lower distortion, but you get into all sorts of discussions then and I have been round that merry go round too much recently.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
now , you can print this as fplate for your new amp

:clown:

Attachments

• Iznogood.jpg
    Iznogood.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.