Lazy Man's Balanced F5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tad drivers definitely increase cost. Actually bet it sounds super. If he did a good job, then 7K retail is good, as he has 3K in materials. CNC work on horns have to be factored. We were simply commenting on ability to DIY cheaper. Olsen is doing a 41616B/radian748/azure horn for about $1500 DIY. Pay no attention to ZM. He's CRAZY!

Edit:
I would think a F5T V2 would push these things all day without breaking a sweat. You are definitely in HE territory, although I wonder how they would sound with lower DF amps.

Last edited:
yep the TAD-1601b he used were $1500, the horns (something that you would buy unless you had a CNC) is another $1500, the compression drivers are another well the 4001 are discontinued, and in my friends case he used BMS dual concentric which is another $800. then the unobtanium crossover which unless you get it from diycoax welll they are another few hundred, and you haven't even build the cabinet yet :eek:

Yeah the F5T V2 would be great, but as I said... it would be a new case as I don't think I have enough heat sink to handle 4 MOSFETs per channel. Let alone a bigger transformer and more caps :mad: Thats why I was very surprised my regular F5 (without current limit) was driving these monsters extremely well! concert level volumes with plenty of bass. Oh yeah note I have about 188000uF caps.

So... would just adding the diode to the source resistor suffice and be ok on the regular F5?

Last edited:
Good point bear, I was thinking that in the back of my mind but illustrating that just seems to help more... But I guess what it means is that if for some reason I have a impeadance load of some crazy speaker running big bass passages of 1ohm the extra diode will allow the high current requirement at the current 24V rail right?

Does this also mean that if I put a diode in there anyways it will never be used, even on normal loads? Meaning, I wonder if it will improve anything to punch dynamics etc etc. if the speakers never dip to below 2ohm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.