output devices on X -X.5 and XA.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I would add this to the mix.

"These OBs equipped with big Lowthers are remarkably and easily tunable by simply toeing them until they sound as described, without any stridency or harshness, period. Listen to your B&W Nautilus, Wilsons and Quads. These OBs should be just as easy to enjoy long term when toed in correctly – while sounding far superior."

Here is another remark
"I'll take that a step further, the way I have implemented the PM2As in an OB then augmented the bass with the Altec 416s, I personally don't think there is a better, more realistic and truly natural sounding system on the planet, regardless of cost."

I reckon Nelson's slot loaded OB will sound better than this

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
who sez that ?

Attachments

• smesna.gif
    smesna.gif
    16 KB · Views: 156
Just one more
"After four years of building a number of different baffles, trying many drivers and fine-tuning passive crossover points, what conclusions have I arrived at? Only one. Anyone reading this can easily and for little cash build a substantially more open, palpable and real-sounding speaker system than they are likely living with at present regardless of cost."

Guess what?
I agree

Here is another remark
"I'll take that a step further, the way I have implemented the PM2As in an OB then augmented the bass with the Altec 416s, I personally don't think there is a better, more realistic and truly natural sounding system on the planet, regardless of cost."

I reckon Nelson's slot loaded OB will sound better than this

ahahah nice to dream sometime.

This is so funny, the thread started out about power amps and ended up with a speaker's discussion.
Melon, you still haven't answered to my question:

What is your stereo system made up with?
Cables, source amp...
Plus I mean how can you state that your DIY speaker is the is the most of everything of everything out there if didn't even listen to the flagship of the B&W.
Have you haver listen to the flagship of Avalon, Thiel, Sonus Faber, JM Lab Eutopia etc...etc..?
I did and that is why I took an educated decision to buy the 800S.
I very hardly doubt that your speaker could even get close to a 802 and if it does I will buy from you....but I first want to listen to them on a proper set up with a 20K source a 20K preamp a 20K power amp and 20K worth in cables (I have listen to some of those with way more expensive gears that those).
In this context you can really, really tell if your speaker or anybody's perform up to level or not!!!

I don't know what sound system you have and maybe you have like 50-60K sound system...at that point I would interested to consider your impression on the speakers.

sorry if I am too direct, but I just want to cut to the chase.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
so what - you have originally intended answers , so now we can continue with fun ....... mocking with highly regarded speakers

:rofl:

as 5th pointed - they made these gorgeous spks , with great driver(s) , and simply didn't equalize it as needed

but what they are not forgetting is - to ask right price for them

:clown:

I have 3 DACs including Sabre ESS9018, AKM, AD too lazy to go chase the numbers down
a Firstwatt B5 active crossover and about 7 different amps too lazy to name them. I did have a Naim Nap 250 but the Firstwatt amps are superior
About 4 different speakers,and building another 3

so what - you have originally intended answers , so now we can continue with fun ....... mocking with highly regarded speakers

:rofl:

as 5th pointed - they made these gorgeous spks , with great driver(s) , and simply didn't equalize it as needed

but what they are not forgetting is - to ask right price for them

:clown:

right.....I am sure they forgot the filter.....also forgot the you have more expierence them with building whatever...also sure important recording studios use your stuff as well :rofl::rofl::censored:

This is so funny, the thread started out about power amps and ended up with a speaker's discussion.

I only get into this topic because you mentioned the cost of the amp you want was a little bit out of your current budget.
Just trying to suggest ways you could build a dream system within your budget.
I am not saying you should sell the 800s or that they are not good, they clearly are good speakers.
Just want to give you some ideas to try out if you are interested

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lighten up Stefanoo

I'm not saying that 800 are bad spks ( even if I wouldn't choose them for my system) ; I'm just differentiating their sound quality from usual fifi mumbojumbo you eagerly transposed here .

that is not having anything with spks I made , and certainly not with number of production and recording studios which I attended and worked in .

I have 3 DACs including Sabre ESS9018, AKM, AD too lazy to go chase the numbers down
a Firstwatt B5 active crossover and about 7 different amps too lazy to name them. I did have a Naim Nap 250 but the Firstwatt amps are superior
About 4 different speakers,and building another 3

Ok then argument is off :D :D
Your sound system is not in any condition able to determine the quality of a very expensive high end speaker.
I mean seriously, you don't know what you are missing.
I am also assuming that you use "red/blak" chords to interconnect your electronics, don't you?
Mellon, I don't mean to be rude or arrogant so please don't take it in the wrong way.
You know how much difference there is just to pick one thing out....bewtween your DAC and an actually 20K Esoteric Player?

ALLOOOTTT!!!! Not to mention using the little DIY F3/5/6 whatever...these are very nice amps, but cheap and not surely a reference.
When I talk about reference the X600.5 or the XA200.5 come to mind...not the F5 DYed here.
If you have a Nap150 I agree that it is a good run for the money, but if you have something serious such as Krell Evolutio, Halcro or JeffRoland Monoblocks....or whatever....you don't even think of switching to one of those.
So once you will have premium wiring a reference source, preamp and power amp, you WON'T be really able to evaluate in a serious manner any type of high-end speaker....just giving you my two cents....it is useless to just fool around this subject.

right.....I am sure they forgot the filter.....also forgot the you have more expierence them with building whatever...also sure important recording studios use your stuff as well :rofl::rofl::censored:

A DIYer has a major advantage over a manufacturer. A manufacturer has to compromise a design to make it compatible with a range of gear that they have no control over.
While a DIYer can build something exactly to his requirements without any added crap so he/she can build an F1 as opposed to a manufacturer that builds Audi. The beauty of this place is that you don't need to be an expert at everything because there are people here with expertise in all different fields willing to help.

lighten up Stefanoo

I'm not saying that 800 are bad spks ( even if I wouldn't choose them for my system) ; I'm just differentiating their sound quality from usual fifi mumbojumbo you eagerly transposed here .

that is not having anything with spks I made , and certainly not with number of production and recording studios which I attended and worked in .

I got that. I am responding to Mellon not to you...I understand you have your own preferences.
I don't like usual fif and I wouldn't consider the 800S such as.
I know a lot of people don't like them, but IMHO they are the few pair of speakers in the market that are really close to the actual lve music is interfaced properly.
I mentioned that I have the opportunity to listen to Patricia Barber on the same enviroment Companion was recorded and I can guarantee you they get darn close!!!

Ok then argument is off :D :D
Your sound system is not in any condition able to determine the quality of a very expensive high end speaker.
I mean seriously, you don't know what you are missing.
I am also assuming that you use "red/blak" chords to interconnect your electronics, don't you?
Mellon, I don't mean to be rude or arrogant so please don't take it in the wrong way.
You know how much difference there is just to pick one thing out....bewtween your DAC and an actually 20K Esoteric Player?

ALLOOOTTT!!!! Not to mention using the little DIY F3/5/6 whatever...these are very nice amps, but cheap and not surely a reference.
When I talk about reference the X600.5 or the XA200.5 come to mind...not the F5 DYed here.
If you have a Nap150 I agree that it is a good run for the money, but if you have something serious such as Krell Evolutio, Halcro or JeffRoland Monoblocks....or whatever....you don't even think of switching to one of those.
So once you will have premium wiring a reference source, preamp and power amp, you WON'T be really able to evaluate in a serious manner any type of high-end speaker....just giving you my two cents....it is useless to just fool around this subject.

Did you not read the quotes above.They are not my words, but the words of reviewers
Clearly this is not the place for you
When you have a speaker rated at 100dB you don't need a 200W amp.
I don't really care how you spend your money. It is your business. Each to their own.
Just trying to help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.