New to DIY - F5 Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
110 or 120r resistors in lieu of the standard 110r resistors will increase the gain of the F5 if you really do need to be able to clip the F5 output when driven by a CDP.
110r, resistors will allow clipping with 2.3Vac output CDPs and 120r resistors will allow clipping with 2.1Vac output CDPs.
And you have the option to use 100r (gain=6), or 110r (gain=6.5), or 120r (gain=7), each can be retro fitted fairly cheaply to let you hear the difference that clipping makes.
You may decide that an unclipable output is a good thing.

if you go from 100ohm to 220ohm. you get 22db gain.
on the other hand. dont expect CD output of 2V thats only in a perfect world based on sinus curves. i for one live in the real world. and dont listen to sinus curves:)
if you massure your CD player when playing a CD. the output will be closer to 1V.

Yes I have done this with a CRO. While the average may have been 1V or less, the peaks were definitely 2V.
Not all CDs are the same though, but even at 1V peaks there is no need for extra gain with his speakers

HELLO! no one has sayd HE need ektstra Gain on Does speakers!
what is sayed. that if you want FULL effect of the the F5. then you need extra gain. i for one, use all 45W ++. and cant wait for the turbo:)

I'm sort of in the same predicament as rotini and a little confused. I built Apeph 5's years ago and want to give the Mezmerize or B1 buffer a go. Should I build the Mezmerize with a 10uf cap on the output or what? Does one sound better than the other. I understand the cap sound issue.

the connection that seems to be of more concern is output of the buffer to input of the power amp.

If this connection is DC coupled, then I always advise a combination of DC detect and output isolation. It would be nice to also have a DC servo to correct for small errors in the DC at the power amp input. This correction would avoid shutting down the amplifier during "normal" play when the offset could drift (for a variety of reasons) and trigger the protection.

It's been a while since I posted. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the diyaudio store about their stock of new chassis before deciding on my approach there. Have already ordered the F5 and B1 boards, and am also waiting on news from the diyaudio store about stocking PSU and DC protection boards in the US warehouses.

Which brings me to a question that will likely and mostly be answered subjectively...

I do like the idea of a Soft Start/DC protection board, and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these in comparison to the original design using thermistors. It appears that the Soft Start would be limited by a relay, but other than that, would there be significant degradation of transfer? Perhaps "less is more", though a DC protection board would also give me some peace of mind in protecting my speakers.

Second question is concerning Antek power transformers, although I'm not sure if this can be answered "satisfactorily" as well. I looked at the specs between the AN-4218, AS-4218, AN-5218, and AN-6218, and it appears that the AN-4218 has higher (closer to 18) voltages at certain amps than the AS-4218 and AN-5218. I've sent Antek an e-mail to get some clarification on the significance of these numbers and how they were collected (production test, sample size, etc.), but right now I'm just a little confused as to why a 500VA transformer seems to have lower voltages than the 400VA one, and why there are differences between the AN and AS versions. I am also torn between getting the AN-6218 and the AS-4218 - a tradeoff between lots of headroom and the shielding that the AS version provides. Has anyone using the AN version noticed any noise without using shielding? Another plus of the AS-4218 is the ability to use the 400VA steel case, but I believe that is purely cosmetic, unless there is also some benefit to be gained there.

EDIT: And yes, I know I'm being nitpicky here concerning the xformers, but I guess that's all part of the fun :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.