diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Bosoz with tube amp? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/21870-bosoz-tube-amp.html)

HeadSh0T 23rd October 2003 02:15 PM

Bosoz with tube amp?

I just finished my BOSOZ and i'm happy with it but I would like to pair it up with a tube amp (SET 300B). Would this be a good match?

I have 8ohm 100db rear loaded horns.

Nelson Pass 23rd October 2003 05:54 PM

I don't see why not, although you probably only be able to
use the single-ended output connection.

GRollins 23rd October 2003 09:24 PM

Depending on the design of the amp, it might be fun to use a transformer input. That way you could use the balanced out from the preamp.

Grey

fdegrove 23rd October 2003 09:57 PM

Hi,

Quote:

That way you could use the balanced out from the preamp.
What would you gain from that?

If it were to be a PP amp then it would be worthwile to use a differential input to take advantage of the balanced output of the pre.

In the case of a SE amp, I feel the input xformer would only add to expense.
Not to mention it may severelly curtail the bandwidth of the next stages.

The only possible advantage it may bring is the galvanic separation. Whether that's worth the expense remains to be seen.
A worthwhile experiment could be to endow the amp with the two input modes and compare the results?

Cheers,

GRollins 23rd October 2003 11:05 PM

I was thinking in terms of noise suppression mostly.

Grey

grataku 24th October 2003 12:28 AM

I have no idea of what I am talking about so bare with me, ok?
What happens if you take say a lundahl 1660 and transformer load the differential and connect the output in SE mode to feed the tube amp?

fdegrove 24th October 2003 12:58 AM

Hi,

Quote:

What happens if you take say a lundahl 1660 and transformer load the differential and connect the output in SE mode to feed the tube amp?
The differential of what exactly? The preamp?

If so the xformer functions as plate choke but I'm not sure what you mean.

Cheers,;)

HeadSh0T 24th October 2003 01:35 AM

Quote:

Depending on the design of the amp, it might be fun to use a transformer input. That way you could use the balanced out from the preamp.
Grey, that sounds interesting. Since the BOSOZ is balanced I was hoping to take advantage of the balanced capabilities..

but I agree that since it is a SE amp, I may not be able to.

I posted the question initially because I was concerned about impedance matching.

Actually, the reason why I'm considering a tube amp now is because I read an older post from Grey extolling the virtues of his own tube amps. :D

GRollins 24th October 2003 01:44 AM

The cool thing about transformers is that everything's relative. On one side, you've got a balanced signal coming in. On the other, you can ground one end and drop the other on the grid as signal. Whatever suits you. Just thought I'd lob the idea at you.
Something you don't see often is switching the leads on a transformer as a method for changing absolute phase.
Given how short I am on sleep, just disregard anything I say that doesn't make sense. I get really loopy after about four days on short sleep rations, and I'm up to more like eight now. No telling what kind of ideas will pop out.
Or whether they'll mesh with the real world...

Grey

EDIT: Missed the reference to my amps. Mine aren't single-ended, but there's no reason in the world yours couldn't be. Go for it.

grataku 24th October 2003 01:35 PM

This is vaguely what I am talking about:
http://www.homestead.com/whaan/files/page3.html
forget the push-pull and the mosfets since we are talking tubes and differential to SE.
In this case the tube differential has the primary on both sides as loads the secondaries are connected in whatever fashion, series or parallel I don't know what's best in terms of impedance, to feed the input of the tube amp. 10 mA lundahl may not be enough bias current but you get the idea...