Bosoz with tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That way you could use the balanced out from the preamp.

What would you gain from that?

If it were to be a PP amp then it would be worthwile to use a differential input to take advantage of the balanced output of the pre.

In the case of a SE amp, I feel the input xformer would only add to expense.
Not to mention it may severelly curtail the bandwidth of the next stages.

The only possible advantage it may bring is the galvanic separation. Whether that's worth the expense remains to be seen.
A worthwhile experiment could be to endow the amp with the two input modes and compare the results?

Cheers,

Depending on the design of the amp, it might be fun to use a transformer input. That way you could use the balanced out from the preamp.

Grey, that sounds interesting. Since the BOSOZ is balanced I was hoping to take advantage of the balanced capabilities..

but I agree that since it is a SE amp, I may not be able to.

I posted the question initially because I was concerned about impedance matching.

Actually, the reason why I'm considering a tube amp now is because I read an older post from Grey extolling the virtues of his own tube amps. :D

The cool thing about transformers is that everything's relative. On one side, you've got a balanced signal coming in. On the other, you can ground one end and drop the other on the grid as signal. Whatever suits you. Just thought I'd lob the idea at you.
Something you don't see often is switching the leads on a transformer as a method for changing absolute phase.
Given how short I am on sleep, just disregard anything I say that doesn't make sense. I get really loopy after about four days on short sleep rations, and I'm up to more like eight now. No telling what kind of ideas will pop out.
Or whether they'll mesh with the real world...

Grey

EDIT: Missed the reference to my amps. Mine aren't single-ended, but there's no reason in the world yours couldn't be. Go for it.

This is vaguely what I am talking about:
http://www.homestead.com/whaan/files/page3.html
forget the push-pull and the mosfets since we are talking tubes and differential to SE.
In this case the tube differential has the primary on both sides as loads the secondaries are connected in whatever fashion, series or parallel I don't know what's best in terms of impedance, to feed the input of the tube amp. 10 mA lundahl may not be enough bias current but you get the idea...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In this case the tube differential has the primary on both sides as loads the secondaries are connected in whatever fashion, series or parallel I don't know what's best in terms of impedance, to feed the input of the tube amp. 10 mA lundahl may not be enough bias current but you get the idea...

The link shows the exact opposite of what you're trying to do:

It has a single anode follower with the IS xformer functioning as a plate load and phase splitter to drive the PP FET output.

You can use the LL1660 in a number of ways; when you have balanced input on the primary side and you want to convert to SE at the secondary just ground the signal polarity that you don't want to use.

The secondary impedance will vary according to how it is hooked up but the xformer's datasheet should show you how.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry, I was in a hurry Frank, did I confuse you?

Indeed, you did...

Do I read you correctly when I suggest you'd need two xformers, one for each signal polarity?

On the secondary side you'd then summ two identical polarities and ground the opposite one.

The tube amp in question would be a SE one I assume...

Cheers,;)

Ok here is what I am talking about:

connect B and D get the sum of the signals from A and C?

Attachments

• tube_bosoz.jpg
    tube_bosoz.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 398
Headshot,
actually thank you for bringing up the subject, I have been toying with the idea of a tube BOSOZ for a while.
I wish some of our illustrious members would pitch in a little more to come up with some suggestions.

Frank,
I am currently using a balanced system all the way from dac to speakers and it keeps amazing me, huge dynamics, imaging and total silence between the notes. Not only I think it's worth it, I don't understand how an audiophile of your caliber is doing without it. ;)
I would want to continue from the balanced tube preamp to the balanced input of the amp. In the specific case of the coupling to the AlephX I could probably get rid of the input caps that have brought me some problem.

I am currently using a balanced system all the way from dac to speakers and it keeps amazing me, huge dynamics, imaging and total silence between the notes.

Huge dynamics and imaging are what tube-o-philes are raving about already and they're probably all non-balanced topologies.

So getting excellent audio seems to be possible whether balanced or unbalanced.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Frank,
I am currently using a balanced system all the way from dac to speakers and it keeps amazing me, huge dynamics, imaging and total silence between the notes.

In your case it's worth pursuing since you have a balanced source already.

Not only I think it's worth it, I don't understand how an audiophile of your caliber is doing without it.

I'm considering it but it would require a complete rebuild of almost all the electronic stages I currently use; MC headamp, preamp and power monoblocks....
Not exactly a cheap adventure and I have this nagging feeling it won't be worth the extra expenditure.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.