Nakamichi PA-5 upgrades - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2012, 07:09 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi amp and pre

I have a Nakamichi PA5 amp and a Naki C5 pre amp both in great condition how much are they worth?
Old 9th December 2012, 12:55 AM   #12
synth is offline synth  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default PA5-mkII

Hi Kotofei,

First up thanks for the great thread combining these mods into one location.

Just one question, how many of these apply for the MK2 model that Naka released?

thanks,
Synth
Old 6th January 2013, 09:59 PM   #13
kotofei is offline kotofei  United States
diyAudio Member

Guys,

Sorry for delayed replies: that was kind of crazy Christmas season.

Pat C: The CA-5 preamp in a great condition should worth not less than $300; the PA-5 in the same condition might go for $550-$600. The sale price AFAIK varies between different Websites: on Audiogon it will be lower than at the ebay.

Synth: I have no idea since I didn't see Nak PA-5 MKII schematics. In any case, you can replace electrolytes, potentiometers and diode bridge rectifier.

All: many of you probably interested how the PA-5 sounds after I modded it. The short answer is: MUCH BETTER!

Specifically, the"mugginess" at the bottom end is gone, the bass became much more tight and natural. Is this actually bass or a lower midrange I don't know. The soundstage is better now, instrument positions are better defined than they use to be. Not sure re. 3-D depth of the soundstage. The way how instruments sound (tonality?) is now more natural for guitar, jazz bass and, naturally, drums.

So overall I like the amp better than before and mods were definitively worth it. BTW, the output power is 150 WPC at the bench before clipping vs. IMHO 100 WPC before. However, to get the best sound I need to warm the PA-5A up for at least 1 hour; if I listen to the music just after powering up it sounds good but thin.

Again, thanks to all who was involved in helping me with this project. In the future I plan to change the input/output jacks to Cardas ones and increase the bias to perhaps 80 mV to get the amp working temperature in the 50 degrees range as Mr. Pass suggested.

Happy New Year to all!

Andrei
Old 20th May 2013, 08:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

@kotofei

Hi kotofei, is it possible to do the same upgrades from the PA5 to the PA5 MK II? And can you say me whats the effect of the upgrade?

Chris
Old 20th May 2013, 11:27 PM   #15
kotofei is offline kotofei  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris,

I don't know what are differences between Nak PA-5 and PA-5 MKII; however, both have electrolytic capacitors, a diode bridge and potentiometers. I think that replacing of those parts in PA-5A MKII will have the same positive effect as in MK I.

Regarding the effect of upgrade pls see my posting of January 6th. I have nothing to add to it.
Old 15th November 2013, 06:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Smile PA-7 LIST OF UPGRADES

HELLO A LOT OF DISCUSSION ON THE NAKAMICHI PA-7 UPGRADES

DOES SOMEONE HAVE A LIST OF THE ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN USED WITH SUCESS

TYPE AND BRAND CAPS I AM TAKING MY AMP TO BE SERVICED AND NEED A LIST OF THE PROPER COMPONENTS THAT I WILL NEED TO REPLACE AND UPGRADE. AND LET HIM KNOW OF THE THING THAT GENRALLY FAIL

THANKS PAUL

Hide this!Advertise here!